Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

I want to export all files and contacts within Entourage on

Customer Question

I want to export all files and contacts within Entourage on my iMac 9.1 into n Apple Mail app on a brand new IMac purchased a week ago.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I've had the iMac 9.1 about 6-7 years and have made routine use (email, word documents, etc) of the machine. I have used a newer Macbook Air for about a year and a half, using Outlook, not Apple Mail.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I have 10.6.8 and, within the past few months, have installed just about every update available.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not sure what you mean. I have talked to Apple support and others about poor internet connectivity and my inability to go to OS 10 Maverick without altering the email app. So....I decided to get a new iMac and now I simply want to presrve my Entourage contacts and files when I go to Apple Mail on the new iMac.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I have searched the web for answers to how to transfer entourage contacts to Apple Mail and have found 5-10 suggestions about how to do that. None are intelligible to me, except a few promises of some third party programs that "magically" do this for me.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Launch Entourage. Click the "File" menu and select "Export."

Select the "Items to an Entourage Archive" radio button. Tick the check boxes for each type of content you want to export.

Click the "Right Arrow" button to continue, and then select "Yes, Delete Items From Entourage After They Are Archived." Click the "Right Arrow" button.

Click "Save" to save the archive to your desktop and then click "Next."

Transfer the archive to your new iMac.

Open Entourage on the new iMac.

Click File and select Import, then choose the archive you created.

Follow the steps to complete the import process.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have seen those directions on many posts and converting entourage files Tom box files works fine. Then I have used a thumb drive to get it to the desktop of the new computer but Apple Mail does not import the mbox file from the desktop into Apple Mail. Many other people have reported similar problems on the internet. What is the cost for the secure connection and a fix? I can get a third party piece of software for about $40 that supposedly will make the transfer possible.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Sorry, my previous reply appears not to have gone through.

Did the directions work for you?