Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Just got macbook air; want to return it. Followed

Customer Question

Just got macbook air; want to return it. Followed instructions to clear hard drive:
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Start by shutting your MacBook off.
Restart and quickly press the CMD and the R keys together. Make sure you do this before you hear the startup sound. Hold the keys together for a bit and you’ll be taken to the OSX Utilities screen.
Click Disk Utility and click Continue.
Go to Applications ›› Utilities ›› Disk Utility
Be sure all your external hard drives are unplugged from your Mac.
You will see your hard drive name listed twice. You’ll want to click on the 2nd name.
Click the Erase tab at the top. Don’t worry. Not erasing yet.
Under Format, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Name can remain what it is or you can change it.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I have no idea; 13", bought 12/31/16. I transferred my files yesterday. No problems until I wanted to reset to factory setting (just now) so I can return it.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Restart with cmd + R; restart with cmd + x; restart with cmd + s; restart with alt + cmd + R. Have gotten to spinning globe, where it has me find wireless network am
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I type slowly, I've always had a pc until now
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

OK you can use the Internet Recovery which is what the globe means... Connect to your network then let it boot that way. Choose the Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD then Reinstall Mac OS X

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A few minutes after the globe shows, a warning triangle shows up with "apple.com/support. -2003F"
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I have a genius bar appointment. I'm not wasting any more $$ on your site. You've done nothing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm still disputing the Paypal fee.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Your satisfaction is guaranteed why are you upset? Can you give me time to reply first, within 3 minutes you posted three times? Try plugging the MacBook directly into your router using an Ethernet cable and try that again, try Option Command R. Even try Command R without connecting it to your router, too.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Do you still need help?