Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am having difficulty with my macbook pro 17inch 10.9.5

Customer Question

Hello, I am having difficulty with my macbook pro 17inch 10.9.5 maverick
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Im not sure how old it is. I've had the computer since 2011. I bought it as a certified refurbished macbook from apple
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Im using maverick and no i haven't done any apdates lately
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried several things. I used disk utility to identify and repair hd.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also used sbin/fsck -fyd
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

What is the problem exactly?

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.