John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

My new ipad is disabled and says to go to iTunes to "fix"

Customer Question

My new ipad is disabled and says to go to iTunes to "fix" it. I don't have iTunes on my computer. Is there any other way to unlock it? I had it working, then must have put in the wrong password ***** next day and it locked up. Thanks
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is an ipad pro that I just got yesterday. 32 GB
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Operating system?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: A friend tried to go to his iTunes on his computer but my ipad was locked and he couldn't help.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess not.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

Since it's been disabled due to an incorrect passcode being entered too many times then I'm afraid you will indeed need iTunes on a computer to get around this security feature.

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove any passcodes, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

-> Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it

-> Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

-> Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

-> Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

-> iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. When we are finished, please give my answers a positive rating so I will be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,