PC_Wizzard
PC_Wizzard, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Server, networking, desktop questions welcome.
69642585

I have a new problem with my Apple MacBook Pro from 2011

Customer Question

I have a new problem with my Apple MacBook Pro from 2011 running Sierra 10.12.1 prossessor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
I use chrome for browsing and usually have 5 to 10 tabs open at a time. Recently, when I return to these open tabs the screen has gone black. My questions are 2.
1) What is likely causing this and is there something I can do to repair it?
2) I favor chrome because I can have laid out a very active favorites bar. Would this problem still likely exist if I switched to safari?
3) Bigger question. I am aware that this machine is aging. I would prefer to keep it going for a few years longer. It has recently occurred to me that this problem may be a warning of an immanent bigger failure.
Category: Mac
Expert:  PC_Wizzard replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble.

Question 1

Please try to disable GPU and test it again.

Step 1. Open Google Chrome and click the three horizontal lines icon to the far right of the address bar. Now choose Settings.

Step 2. At the bottom of the page click on 'Show advanced settings…'

Step 3. Scroll down the page again until you find the System heading, below which is an option to 'Use hardware acceleration when available'. Remove the tick from this box to turn off hardware acceleration (or tick the box to turn it on).

Step 4. Having altered this setting you'll see a link pop up beside the option advising that Chrome requires a restart. Tap restart on this link to restart Chrome with or without hardware acceleration.

Question 2

We need to test Chrome first with GPU disabled and if it still occurs we can test with Safari and if Safari works it can be

extensions in Chrome causing the issues.

Question 3

You can test your hardware with the AHT test

1. Shut down your computer. Then, press the power button to turn it back on.
  2. Press and hold the D key before the gray startup screen appears.
  3. It takes a minute or so for AHT to start up and inspect your hardware configuration. While this is taking place, an icon appears on the screen:
  4. When the process is complete, select your language and click the right arrow. If you aren't using a mouse, you can use the up and down arrows to select a language and then press the Return key.
  5. The AHT console appears. You can choose which sort of test or tests to perform:
    • To perform all of the basic tests, click the Test button or press the "T" key or the Return key.
    • To perform a more thorough diagnostic test, select the "Perform extended testing" checkbox under the Test button before you click the Test button.

Note: Your test results will appear in the window in the bottom-right of the console.

6. To exit AHT, click Restart or Shut Down at the bottom of the window.