Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a 2005 G5. When turned on it chimes and runs for a…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 G5. When turned on it chimes and runs for a bit then starts the fan. Ive tried replacing the battery inside, removing and reinstalling the memory, removing the vid card and restarting, resetting the P ram, and nothing changes.

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

Used it for five years...bought it new

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Maybe

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

It seemed to stop working after a storm. but its plugged into a surge protector ....battery backup

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?

?

Technician's Assistant: What confuses you?

It won't start

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
12/16/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 1 year ago
Mike, Mac Medic

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

IS that a tower GS or an iMac?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
G5
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tower

YEs but is it a Tower or an iMAc

OK

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Big and silver. G5 tower. Not an imac

Try Safe Boot first: restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. If you can't restart from the Apple menu hold the power button for 10 seonds to shut down, then start it up and hold the Shift key... This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK, login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I held the shift key down. It shut down after about twenty seconds.

OK, so the next thing to try is to reset NVRAM. Holding down cmd-opt-O-F at boot until you get the open firmware command line screen, issue the following two commands

reset-nvram

reset-all

then see what happens with the reboot that reset-all commands.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I start up, see the apple, see the,spinning wheel, nothing happens until the overheat fan kicks in. I can either shut it off by holding the start key or it shuts itself off after 30 second

Hit Return after each command

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Holding down the option key, the Apple / command key, the letter O and the letter F. Nothing except a blank screen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried again, blank screen...nada

OK disconnect the hard drive to make sure that is not that and put in the install disk hold the letter C on boot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gonna take me a while to find that....I've move recently. How do I disconnect the HD? Can we continue this in a few hours?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ... You working after 4 est

I should be available

Do you still need help?

Do you need help or not?