Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

PPC G5 2.3ghz. I cannot get past the apple load screen

Hi JA: Hi. How can we...
Hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: PPC G5 2.3ghz. I cannot get past the apple load screen without kernel error.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: I am attempting to install a fresh copy of OS X 10.4 with original disk onto new SATA HD.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. This is a new install on a outdated unsupported machine.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Probably everything Google can provide
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
12/16/2016
Mike, Mac Medic

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Did this machine work fine before you replaced the drive? Did you replace anything else like RAM?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it worked just fine.
Nothing changed except for the SATA HD.
I have an original install disk but I cannot get past the kernel error.

Is that a G5 tower?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
G5 PPC 2.3GHZ

Are you sure that is the install disk that came with it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For sure it is not the original disk.
I purchased the disk online from some ****.

Is it a gray label?

OK I can't be sure that is not for a specific apple product but it sounds like it is you need to get what is called a Full Retail disk that machine can run Leopard so I recommend this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-OSX-10-5-Leopard-MB021Z-A-Full-Retail-Version-English-/132029902973?hash=item1ebd98707d:g:JkkAAOSwa~BYSxFS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ugh. How can one tell if it is a FULL RETAIL? I assumed any install disk would work too soon..

Either that or try to reset the PRAM and the SMU: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-power-mac-g5

It will say Retail Disk on the box. Certain disks are made for only a particular model only Retail Disks will work for any model that supports that system version.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did some research and found the same. Will target disk work from a newer Mac tower G5 with this version of the install disk?

Maybe hard to say. Worth a try. It may not mount unless it is already formatted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its ready via firewire. How do I start PPC for target disk mode?

Restart the Mac holding the letter T key.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is the newer Mac that works properly, second image. The image in your link is the newer Mac I'm trying to boot from. Or am I doing it wrong?

Are you sure you installed the drive correctly? Is that tower or an iMac?

You only put one of them in Target Disk mode the one you are trying to install on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Second tower that works is G5 8core 2010 model with that FireWire icon image on screen.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will restart PPC in target mode, that is my install destination.

Right you don't want to do it on that one how does that help? You want to mount the drive on the one you are trying to install in on the the good one's Desktop but if it is not formatted it might not show up try the Disk Utility to see if it shows up there but you have to see that icon on the PPC

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to restart the working Intel tower now. No target mode right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PPC is in target mode with FireWire icon on screen now.

OK now open the Disk Utility on the other MAc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Utility is open. I have FireWire option available.

OK choose it and then Select Erase and name it Macintosh HD

Then see if you can boot from that install disk on that machine and install on the Firewire drive

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Extended (Journaled)?

YEs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, but how do I boot from install disk?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which tower should I boot from?

How were you doing it on the other Mac?

Put the disk in the working Mac and restart holding the C key which I hope is what you were doing on the other one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, restarting working Mac with OS X 10.4 in optical drive and holding C.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really don't know how I was doing it with the PPC, I just tried booting it with disk and got the kernel error.

Is that how you were doing it on the other Mac? If not it may work you were just doing it wrong and we wasted a lot of time. I assumed too much I guess.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea, I suck. Sorry bout the time.

OK now that we are here just install and make sure you choose the Firewire drive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the PPC in target mode still, FireWire icon on screen. Restarting the Intel Mac with the disc in it and holding C still brings me to login screen.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
User error obviously. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

OMG you can't use an intel Mac to install for a PPC MAc... You said "Will target disk work from a newer Mac tower G5 with this version of the install disk?"

You Never said it was an Intel Mac until now

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They stopped making PPC in 2005.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I said it is a 2010
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I think I know what u are saying. It isn't supported.

Yes but you said it was a G5 that's a PPC, I assumed you had the year wrong. Put the disk back in the other Mac and reboot holding the C key. If that still gives Kernel Panic then you have the wrong disk you need the one I gave you the link for

There is no G5 Intel chip.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question at no extra charge. Thanks!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
$#!7.
Thanks Mike. Now I have a better (not much) understanding of these things.

OK let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea I'll get that stupid disk. Just kinda po'd that I bout this one not knowing. I'll rate ya good. I'm in the same field, but I dont do computers.

OK no problem. Good luck. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

Not sure who you bought it from but usually they will refund on Ebay

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't even think it's an authentic original. Looks like a burned copy from a optical burner with a label maker. Thanks again.

Oh not good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was an Amazon purchase. Anyways time is money, we both got things to do. Have a good holiday bro!

If it was Amazon then surely you can return it I have been a Prime member for years, you can at least leave a bad review if they will not give you satisfaction and Amazon will cut them off if that happens and you report it.

Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic