Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Keychain access cannot be found. There is no keychain First

Customer Question
Aid option. JA: What OS X...
keychain access cannot be found. There is no keychain First Aid option.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Sierra sorry.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: just sierra that I can recall.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: all the forums I can find on the web. Each new one I see sounds simple but I dont think its for Sierra. This issue may be compounded by Sierra as there was an issue with the iTunes account not connecting previously but it would only have issues with texting from my Mac Book pro....couldnt do that.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I really like my Mac ! just not when its sick....
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you know your administrator or user login password ?

This happens if the Keychain database is corrupted. So we need to get rid of old keychain database and make a new one. First go to System Preferences select iCloud. Click Sign Out button there and sign out. If asked to delete or keep stuffs, select Keep. If you only see Delete, then click Delete or OK. It is OK, you can reconnect to iCloud later. This is very important step.

Once you did that, click on Finder icon on dock. In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. In Library, open Keychain folder. You will see many files there in Keychain folder. Trash them all.

Then restart your Mac and this will force your Mac to setup a new Keychain folder. If that didn't work, then you have to boot your Mac to Safe Mode and then repeat the above steps. To boot into Safe Mode, turn off your Mac, turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. This will boot into Safe Mode.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Remember, keychain mess is not easy to fix, so it will take some time and few efforts to get it sorted.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wasn't signed into iCloud...I just tried and it wont let me (log in issue)

If you are already signed out from iCloud, then skip it. That could be the issue as you probably used Keychain before and your Mac is looking for keychain in iCloud. So please follow the steps below

Turn off your Mac, turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. This will boot into Safe Mode. Then In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. In Library, open Keychain folder. You will see many files there in Keychain folder. Trash them all.

Restart normally. This will force the Mac to create a new keychain database locally unless iCloud mess up it again. Let me know how it goes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay I am using the Mac for the conversation here...once I shut it down how do I get back to you ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PS - I trash the file.

Add a bookmark of this page oar add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me after restart.

I want you to attempt to sign in to iCloud again. Then sign out and trash the files. But do these steps in Safe Mode. We need to force your mac to look into local Keychain instead of iCloud keychain.

How is it going Ed ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Super rough. Reboot took 6-7 mins. Once up again screen flashed a few times and showed a few horizontal color bars. Everything is running rea slow now - not sure if in safe mode or not. Im using my iphone to communicate with you now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Keychain folder has a few new files in it. Should I will attempt to login to icloud again?

Safe mode will be slow. It is for troubleshooting.

Yes, try to login to iCloud now. If asked to use Keychain by iCloud, don't use it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Icloud oreferences wants to make changes to acct and wants pword to allow this....enter it?

Yes, do it

iCloud may ask you to use iCloud keychain. So don't use it. Then restart normally

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay restarting now

Good luck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Think were still in safe mode..its sloooowww..

Turn it off. Wait 2 minutes and turn it back on normally.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gotcha

Is it still slow ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
shut it down again and waiting another 2 mins

It is not supposed to be this slow. I think we're not just dealing with simple keychain issue, but might be software corruption. So when it turns on, I want you to backup all your important files ASAP to an external hard drive

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was just thinking the same thing. Will do that before next step.

Let me know the results please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still slowly coming up.

Let it load. Then backup your important files and we can do some troubleshooting to fix system files, memory etc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Apparently Im stuck in safe mode now. Cannot connect to a browser.

Internet won't work properly in safe mode. Only minimal functions will work in safe mode. But you should be able to backup all your important files in Safe Mode. Let mek now once you did that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have an older external that I ised before becoming a Mac user. It is not allowing me to bring anything over to the external - my guess is because its a Mac and it is looking for PC files. Gonna try and burn to a cd

If you don't have any important files on it, then you can format/erase it for Mac, so you can use it with your Mac.

Do you have any important files on it ?

If you don't have any important files on it, then you can format it for you Mac. Formatting will delete everything from it.

Connect the external drive to your Mac. Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your external hard drive in the left column.Under Erase tab, select Mac OS Journaled / Extended

Then click the Erasebutton and it will be formatted for Mac. Then you can copy your files to it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately there are some things that are needed.

Oh ok. There are some methods to fix system files, but I don't want to troubleshoot without backing up your files.

You can connect the Mac to router via Ethernet cable and this will give you internet. Then download and install this application (use trial version) and it will allow you to write to PC formatted drives --> https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Then backup your files. Or you can backup to DVD/CD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gonna take several discs to back the importaint files up. On disc 2 now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for this issue.

No problem. Take your time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay - after back ups of all but 1 file I restarted the mac. Checked the keychain file (all new files there) and went to see the listing of websites / passwords ...which were all in tact. The strange thing is the web browser has changed the contents of the favorites "bar" on me. Also still slow but not as if in safe mode. Have not been asked about the safari password ***** keychain yet.

Resetting keychain should have affected the passwords saved in Safari. I want you to reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. It is a temporary memory and safe to reset it.

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two times.

Release the keys and let the Mac boot up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Booting up now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That was much improved stattup time - wow.

We cleaned some temporary memory. How is the performance now ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Opening a few things ...

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Beach ballin

That indicates hard drive is busy with something. Probably slow reading and write times or it could be failing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yep its still loading from startup...

It is not supposed to take this much time. Slow issues indicates issues with system files, failing hard drive etc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a means of checking the HD to see if it is in fact failing ? Then is it worth replacing HD on a 5 yr old laptop?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still not opening programs

The fact is, traditional hard drives are mechanical and may fail without any reasons - slow performance means it is dying. They don't have much life. Most of the new computers comes with SSD.

Even if the hard drive is not failing, it is definitely worth replacing it with an SSD and you will definitely see the performance boost.

Re checking hard disk, we can run Disk Utility and see what is returns. Before running this (it may make things worse on failing drives), make sure you backup all your files.

Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name).Then click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

This can't detect mechanical failure, but will tell us if there is any issue with system files.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ummm I think the drive is the issue. Just opened safari but cannot do anything - beach ball or the timer is present. I need to run to get a newer external drive so I can back up the "my photos" file- its around 45GB.

Then don't run Disk Utility. It may make it non bootable.

In some rare cases, it could be the hard drive cable. If you are going to replace it, then you should consider upgrading to SSD. See this sample comparision --> http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ssd-vs-hdd.jpg

Ashik, Mac Technician