Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

MacBook Air locked up with fan running. Shutdown and left

Customer Question
overnight, but still just locks...
MacBook Air locked up with fan running. Shutdown and left overnight, but still just locks up after signing in. No fan sound.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 3 years old. Do not know which operating system. Last updated about a month ago.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not in over a month.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Hold shift key after start up. Nothing else.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 12 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive.It could be the hard drive that is failing. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column(Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If you are using latest 10.11 El Capitan or later, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Does it boot into desktop ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

It booted back into utilities

Sorry, since your Mac is not booting up, I will not be able to connect remotely and fix it from here.

Click on Apple and select Shutdown. Then turn it on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at same time until you hear start up sound for 2 times. Make sure you hold the 4 keys at same time. Then let it boot.

Still locked up

At what screen is it locked up ?

It goes to login screen and after I enter password ***** takes 5 seconds and then goes to apple screen and stays there.

Sounds like user account corruption, so it is not an hardware issue.

We can create a new account and see if we can boot to that account. Follow the steps below to create anew User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Login to new account. Are you able to log into new account ?

It does not go to single user mode. Same login screen comes up

Turn it off. Wait 1 minute. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and S for 5-20 seconds. Does it go to Single User Mode ?

No change. Same login screen.

Do you have any important files on your Mac ?

And do you have the backup of your files ?

Pictures and school work that is not backed up.

We can reinstall the OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem unless it is hardware related.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X. This will not work if the issue is related to user account.

But this will work if it is related to system files. 90% of the chances that there are no hardware issues and it is software related. Let me know how it goes

It goes to screen to install macOS Sierra. When I hit continue, drop down says it needs to verify computer eligibility with Apple. When I hit continue, nothing happens.

It may take a while to verify. Make sure you are connected to a good WiFi network as high speed internet is required to reinstall. Try agian.

Said it could not install and to run diagnostics. Ran diagnostics, and it said to contact apple for support options. Contacted apple support and they said they were not available at this time. Shutdown and new login screen came up. After login, says that it cannot install system.

Is there any way to get access to another Mac ?

No. only have iPads. No other apple computer.
Diagnostics identified codes - PPM002,PPM003, PPM004.

I'm afraid the PPM002, PPM003 etc indicates an issue with memory in the internal board. It could also be an issue with the storage drive. The only way to know whether it is the storage drive (software part) or not is by erasing the drive which will delete everything from it. If it is not software issue, then you have to take it to the Apple Store to get the storage/memory replaced.

You have four options in here. First is, buy Disk Warrior (powerful disk utility application)and try to repair your hard disk or recover your files with it. If it is unable to fix the hard drive, then it will at least help you to recover the files that are readable and save them to an external drive. Get it from here : http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

Disk Warrior is costly. If you don't want to recover any files or if you don't want to wait for Disk Warrior to arrive, then you don't have to buy Disk Warrior. It is not worth it if you don't have any important files/applications. Disk Warrior will not fix it if this is memory issue.

Second is, if you have another Mac and a Thunderbolt/Firewire cable, then you can setup Target Disk Mode and this will allow you to mount the hard drive of this Mac to that like an external hard drive and you will be able to back up your files --> https://support.apple.com/kb/ph10725?locale=en_US

(After backing up,you can reinstall the OS X after erasing the drive.)

Third is, you can erase the hard drive and try to install a fresh version of Mac OS X in it. This will erase everything from your hard disk unfortunately. Boot into the Mac OS X Utilities screen just like you did before (Command and R). In there, select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and erase it. Then close Disk Utility and continue installation. This is the quickest solution if you don't mind losing the files in it. This also will not work if the memory or hard drive is failing.

Final option is, you can take the Mac to the Apple Store. They will recover the files using their tools like Disk Warrior or Target Disk Mode and then reinstall Mac OS X for you.

I'm really sorry, but these are your only options left. If you are not satisfied with my service, then please don't rate me bad or poor or OK. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied. Let me know what you think.

Ashik, Mac Technician