How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask technicalcat Your Own Question
technicalcat, Consultant
Category: Mac
Satisfied Customers: 1957
Experience:  20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science
Type Your Mac Question Here...
technicalcat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a ?. Hope u can help. I am considering purchasing a

Customer Question

I have a ?. Hope u can help. I am considering purchasing a Woo Audio WA7 Firefly headphone amp. I see it has a usb connection on the back. The square one. What sort of cable would I need to connect my IPhone or IPad to it.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: ios 10.11
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: what are u talking about? I just had a question. I haven't purchase the amp yet.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  technicalcat replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

The amplifier comes standard with USB, and RCA inputs. The USB is for a digital connection from a computer, because the amp also has a built-in DAC. With an phone or tablet, you'd very likely not use the USB, and instead just patch your analog headphone output into the RCA. If you need a link to such an adapter cable, I can send you one. They are common and easy to find.

If you have any other questions on this, please reply in the box below.

IMPORTANT: Please click the STARS or ACCEPT button to rate my time and help now. I strive for excellent service.
Rating costs nothing more. This is my livelihood, and a positive rating is the only way I receive credit for helping you.
As this is my job, if you feel the need to rate less than five stars, please don't, and instead reply for further assistance.
Rating does not close the question. I continue to help after positive rating with a satisfaction guarantee, so please rate now. Thank You.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
please send a link to the type of cable I would need. Remember this is to connect the Ipad or IPhone to the amp. So where do I connect the Ipad to the amp. What input do I sue at the back? It's not clear to me, if I can't use the USB at the back of the amp.
Expert:  technicalcat replied 8 months ago.

You can use an adapting cable such as this:

Also, if you are set on using the digital input, then you'd need to purchase a more expensive adapter, and you may need one type for your ipad, and a different for your iphone, depending on the model you have of each of these devices. With the analog headphone approach, you'd be able to use the same cable as shown above provided your device has a standard headphone output. Since this is a unique analog retro tube driven amp, it's very debatable as to which type of connection is better, although I'd recommend the analog in most cases. If you connect with digital , you may get a ground loop noise.

Please click the STARS or the accept button above, so I can get credit for helping you today. Rating does not close the question, and I continue to help after rating until you are satisfied. Thank You.

Expert:  technicalcat replied 8 months ago.

Also, you mention not seeing the RCA inputs. They are on the back, right next to the digital USB input as shown here: The red/white (right/left) sockets.

Related Mac Questions