Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My safari is not opening on my Mac book pro, It is from 2008

Customer Question
My safari is not opening...
My safari is not opening on my Mac book pro
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is from 2008 and it is up to date on everything
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes just today System and iTunes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Sorry the page reloaded Did you receive the two methods I tried? Now I shut my Mac off
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
11/21/2016
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. In order to provide the best possible help, I will need to know what version of the MAC operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you receive it?

Thank you. I have it. Please give me just a moment to type up detailed instructions for troubleshooting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thanks.

The solution will vary depending on the exact symptoms that you are having. It is more than likely a result of having installed the El Capitan update earlier this morning. What happens when you try to use Safari? Does it not open at all, or does it open and then "hang" and give you a message about not responding?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does not open at all

Thank you. Please do the following:

Open Finder, and move the following items from the open Library folder to the Desktop (some may not exist, but if they are there move them):

Cookies/Cookies.binarycookies

Internet Plug-Ins

Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.Safari.*.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Preferences/com.apple.WebFoundation.plist

PubSub/Database

Safari

SyncedPreferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Here, "*" stands for a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes.

Note 1: You are not moving the Safari application. You’re moving a folder named “Safari.”

Note 2: This step will remove your Safari extensions, if any, and their settings. If you choose to reinstall them, do so one at a time, testing each time to make sure you haven’t restored the problem.

Try again. Your settings and bookmarks will be lost. The default set of bookmarks will be restored. Delete them all.

If Safari is now working normally (apart from the lost settings), look inside the “Safari” folder on the Desktop for a file named “Bookmarks.plist”. Select

File Import Bookmarks...

from the Safari menu bar. Import from that file. Recreate the rest of your Safari settings. You can then delete the items you moved to the Desktop.

If the issue is still not resolved, quit Safari again and put all the items you moved to the Desktop back where they were, overwriting the newer ones that may have been created in their place. You don’t need to replace the files you deleted earlier. Let me know the results please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I couldn't find any of the mentioned files
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

I apologize. For some reason I wasn't notified immediately of your response. f you'd like, I can perform these steps for you while you watch via the Premium Service of Secure Remote Assistance. This is completely optional. If you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and work on the issue for you. If you do not choose to take this service, but need more help, we can continue here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is ok, but is private and secure?

It is indeed private and secure. you will need to download and run a piece of software to allow me to connect and once we are disconnected, I will no longer have access.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The safari is not launching to download the software

I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking about that. That is a problem. Do you by any chance have Google Chrome installed or Firefox that you could use instead?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

I'm sorry. I don't really have any other ideas about how to do this. I will opt out and open the question to other experts to see if they have ideas. Have a great day!

Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What exactly happens happens when you open Safari ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does not launch at all

It is possible that the Safari application is corrupted and we may need to reinstall it. First backup all your important files to an external hard drive before we start troubleshooting.

Once you backup the files, we can do the troubleshooting.

We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If you are using latest 10.11 El Capitan or later, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Once it boot into desktop, hold down Shift key and open Safari. Does it open ther e?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried all of this yesterday but it still not launching

That means the issue is with system files. Have you tried resintalling the OS X from OS X Utilities ?

Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 12 months ago

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?

Mike, Mac Medic