Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I recently updated my iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 10.11. If I try

Customer Question

I recently updated my iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 10.11. If I try to run iPhoto I get an error: "Photos in he Camera Roll cannot be imported because the device is locked with a passcode". I deleted both passcode and fingerprint security options on iPhone to no avail. Now trying to update iPhoto and I get the error "iPhoto can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because Mac OS X version 10.10 or later is required". (I also got the same error when trying to update Photo Transfer app). I'm more concerned about iPhoto though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: All I know is iOS 10.11.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Updated iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 10.11
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Reboot both phone and mac. Tried to update iPhoto. Found an answer online where I set up a new user account and tried to install iPhoto, but I get the error "iPhoto can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because Mac OS X version 10.10 or later is required".
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it! Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are yo using ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

What exact version of Mac OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac to know the version nunber

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
10.11
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry …it's 10.7.5
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I'm here. Writing your answer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK … I thought I lost you :) I've never used this application before
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

That's what I thought. The problem is, You are using latest iOS 10 on your iPhone but an old iTunes/iPhoto on your computer. You need iTunes 12.5 or later to work with iOS 10 devices with Mac and other applications.

The latest iTunes is 12.5 and it requires OS X 10.9 or later. You need to upgrade your Mac OS X 10.7 to latest version. The latest is 10.12 Sierra. This is your only way to fix this problem. The problem you are having is incompatibility issue with Mac and iPhone version and there is no other way to make it work.

Follow the steps below to upgrade the OS X if your Mac support it.

Click on the Apple icon and App Store. This will bring App Store. Click Updates tab. If your Mac can handle latest OS X, then you will see macOS Sierra there with FREE UPGRADE button. Click Free Upgrade and enter your Apple ID and password.

This will download the update. It may take a few hours to download. Once the download is completed, it will bring the OS X Installer. Follow the onscreen instructions to install it. It may take up to 3 hours to install the upgrade.

Upgrading the OS X will also give you a new application named Photos app. Photos is a replacement of iPhoto (Apple stopped updating iPhoto) and it does allow you to access your old photos. So you have to download using Photos app and iPhoto will no longer work on 10.12 Sierra.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or until you are satisfied.

I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star rating. If you feel you've received anything less, please don't rate anything like bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK … I'll try it now … I'll let you know if it works. thanks!
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

It is a long process. So only start if you have time to finish now as it will take couple of hours.

Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Good luck !