Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius
Experience:  Training and Development at Scientifically Speaking
81238384

I just bought my air iPad 2 weeks ago and I locked myself

Customer Question

I just bought my air iPad 2 weeks ago and I locked myself out trying to open it. I haven't put anything on the pad as I can't get in. It wants a passcode.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: I don't know
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Haven't done anything because I can't open it
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I took it to Best Buy and they we're to rest back to factory but I'm still locked out
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There is a way to reset it to factory settings using your computer. Do you have a computer there ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

We can force-restore the iPad to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to bypass the passcode screen and get it restored to factory settings)

Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPad (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Note : After restoring, it will be like fresh. So make sure you set a correct passcode this time and write it down

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Note : this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or until you are satisfied.

I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star rating. If you feel you've received anything less, please don't rate anything like bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Now it say enter passcode. I fontkown passcode
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

You need to restore it from your computer. Follow the steps I sent you exactly and it will allow you to restore the iPad to factory settings i.e out of box state. Let me know if you get stuck any step

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have updated my account. I would like to have you remote assistance
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

There was some issues with the payment details and the site didn't allow me to access the request. So I will send you an offer and see if you can accept it from your end.

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

If you are unable to accept remote request, then I will send you instructions in here. No problem. I can stay with you until we fix the issue and doesn't matter how long it takes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

If the payment is not going through, then I will connect now as it is not your fault the payment is not working. We can check the payment info later.

Now, to connect, are you using an Apple Mac or Windows PC ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Are you using an Apple Mac computer or non Apple Windows computer ? I will connect and fix it myself for you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you remote start with me
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Apple window
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Yes, I can. But to start, I need to know the type of computer you are using. What computer are you using ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Toshiba
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Follow the steps below to start secure remote support session.

If you are talking to me from your computer, then just click this link-> https://www.fastsupport.com/121154789

Follow the onscreen instructions to connect. An application named GoToAssist Launcher will be downloaded. Then open the GoToAssist Launcher application. Allow permission to connect if asked.

If you don't see the downloaded file, press Control and J on your keyboard and this will bring Downloads. Open GoToAssist Launcher from there.

Once we're connected, I will try to fix the issue myself for you while you watch.

Let me know if you have any difficulty connecting to me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do control j and nothing shows up
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Click this link again --> https://www.fastsupport.com/121154789

Do you see any application or file being downloaded after clicking that link ? If not, go to your Downloads folder and do you see GoToAssist Launcher ther e?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm looking for the down load file. Not familiar With this computer
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

On the internet application, press Control and J at same time and this will bring Downloads window. Do you see GoToAssist Launcher anywhere ?

If not, open Downloads folder in your home/user account folder and do you see that file there ?

I'm waiting for the connection here, so you have to open that file inorder to establish the connection from your side

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can't find anything with control j
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not familiar with the computer
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

How old is this computer ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Try this. Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard of computer and this will bring a small box. Type Downloads on that box and press enter. This will bring Downloads. Do you see a file named "GoToAssist Launcher" there ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Look I really don't know anything about this computer stuff. Can I mail this to you and get it done.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't understand the windows file key
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately No. Without using a computer, we will not be able to restore it. Without establishing the connection from the computer, I will not be able to restore it myself for you from here.

Is there any one there who can help to follow the instructions I sent you ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry. I think you have to take it to the Apple Store to get it restored. Or if you can get some one there who can follow my instructions, then I will fix it from here.

You can make an Appointment to Apple Store from here --> http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

You can find a nearest Apple Store from this website --> https://locate.apple.com

I'm sorry I couldn't solve the problem. If you are not satisfied with my service, please don't rate me bad or poor or OK or anything as it will badly affect my job here. You don't have to rate anything. You can email to *****@******.*** for refund of the amount you paid here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There isn't a Apple Store with in 200 or more miles from us.
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

If you can get anyone there who can follow the instructions I sent you, then I will be able to fix it from here (after establishing remote connection). Otherwise I will not be able to help from here.

I will opt out and open this question to other experts in here. If they have any other idea, they will get back to you. You don't have to stay online. You will be notified when other expert reply to you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Justin Johnson replied 8 months ago.

Are you still trying to unlock your iPad?