Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I can't get rid of the popups that ask me my login keychain

Customer Question

I can't get rid of the popups that ask me my login keychain password, and I don't think I ever had one!
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: I've looked online but nothing seems to happen and it says my keychain is not responding
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: nope
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've cleaned the cache and bookmarks; rebooting several times
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it. I just want to get rid of those keychain boxes.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Keychain is a security app that stores all your passwords, certifications required for websites etc and sounds like the keychain database of your Mac got corrupted somehow. It may time and effort to clean the Keychain mess.

Login Keychain is same as your admin password ***** login password. Did you try that ? If not, try it.

If that didn't work, try your Apple ID password. Does it work ?

If not, then what version of Mac OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. What is the version number there ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
10.11.6
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

If it still not working, then we have to reset the admin password ***** by booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. First go to System Preferences select iCloud. Click Sign Out button there and sign out. If asked to delete or keep stuffs, select Keep. If you only see Delete, then click Delete or OK. It is OK, you can reconnect to iCloud later. If you are unable to sign out, then turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Then sign out from iCloud (from System Preferences)

Then follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the“Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

Type (without space)--> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column,select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Remember, you have to follow the above steps exactly and in correct order. Otherwise, it will not work. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or until you are satisfied.

I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star rating. If you feel you've received anything less, please don't rate anything like bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I clicked on iCloud and I got the beachball which won't stop
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Yes, that is the issue. Your Mac lost connection with iCloud keychain. Press Command Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select System Preferences and force quit it. Then shut down your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Then sign out from iCloud (from System Preferences)

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Just checking. How is it going ?