Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I am having trouble sending mail from my iPad........get

Customer Question

I am having trouble sending mail from my iPad........get message that user name/password ***** incorrect. I have gone into settings to check my password, it this hasn't helped. I am trying to apply for a job, so I REALLY need to be able to send out mail!!!! Thanks in advance ~ Sue
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: Just now
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no, just any auto updates that may have been installed
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just going into settings
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no tks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob James replied 10 months ago.

Are you using iPad's built in "Mail" application, or something else?

What email provider are you using; Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, Live?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Built in. And I use outlook thru MNS.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'd rather you just try to walk me thru possible issues

That is my goal, I just needed to know where to start.

When you go into the Mail app, do you see a "Outbox" folder? If so, is there anything in it? If there is, please delete any/all in the Outbox and try to send again. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't want to allow remote access at this time
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have outlook app on my desktop, and also access it from the MSN home page

In the original request iPad was mentioned, are we not talking about sending mail from an iPad?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing in the out box at this time
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
from my ipad

How do we know it is not working? Is there an error message? Or is there a returned email?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is an error message that says my user name/ password ***** incorrect!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
then I find the email in the outbox as unsent

So is your email @outlook.com or @live.com, or ??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Email address is @msn.com

OK, has it ever worked on the iPad?

Do you have any messages in the Inbox?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it always used to be fine, but this has been happening over the last month or more. Just tried it again to see the meager and it said that "the user name ORpassword ***** MSN is incorrect.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
MESSAGE not meager!!! darn auto correct!!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bob??????!!!!

Please go into the "Settings" on your iPad. Then tap "Mail" (on the left). Then tap "Accounts" - how many accounts are there?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hang on a sec!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Under mail it says: iCloud, MSN, and outlook

OK, iCloud and MSN make sense, do you have a separate "Outlook" account?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But I only use my MSN/Outlook acct on a daily basis. iCloud acct just came with my iPad so I set it up as a backup

Yes, MSN and iCloud make sense, but do you also use the Outlook account for MSN? In other words, is both the MSN and the Outlook account set up for the MSN email address?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I always thought OUTLOOK was just a part of MSN.......

They are from the same company, Microsoft, but it does not mean they're set up with the same account. When you tap on either one, are you prompted for a password? Once you're in the settings for each, are they the same address?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just checked it again in settings.

So, both the "MSN" and the "Outlook" account show the same address***@******.*** ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have used this email for YEARS!!!!

OK, let's go back to the "Mail" app. When you're in there, do you see "< Mailboxes" in the upper-left of the screen? If so, tap on it, then you should see at least four things: "All Inboxes", iCloud, MSN, and Outlook - can you confirm this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do have mail on my inbox
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hang on have to,change screens!!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
all inboxes is also shown

Do you normally use the "All Inboxes" option?
Please try tapping on the MSN Inbox specifically, and then try sending an email.
And when you're sending the email, please notice what is in the "Cc/Bcc, From:" field.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hang on......and yes, ALL inboxes always show up automatically.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok.......sent myself an email and I rec'd it!! But when I try to respond to, say, a job ad it doesn't go. There is NO Cc/Bcc shown in my address line
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
by the way, I am receiving your responses in my email long before I can see them on this screen!!

There will almost always be a variance in time frame of when you see a response in email vs when it shows up in this forum, and sometimes it will show up here before email - it's just the nature of data transmissions.

Back to email from iPad...

So, how are you responding to the job ads - from an Internet link?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
55357;� ok!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, usually thru Indeed, which is where I see the job posting and my resume is also on that site. I am an RN, so my cover letter is also there!

So you click on a link on the Indeed site? And then an email pops up? What I'm thinking is that when this is done, the "Mail" app is 'choosing' which email address to send from, and somehow it's 'choosing' the account that does not have the correct password. It could be 'choosing' iCloud, MSN or Outlook. Could you click one of those links now, not that you're going to send the email, but then notice - is there a "Cc/Bcc, From:" field? and what email address is in the "Cc/Bcc, From:" field?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just checked an email I tried to send in response to a job. I created this email from my regular acct, NOT thru the link, and it did not go through. Got the same message.

And did you notice what was in the "Cc/Bcc, From:" field?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long would it take you to fix this if I allowed remote access????? I have to get ready for work shortly!!!!!

Remote access to an iPad is nearly impossible, Apple made it very difficult for security reasons.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NO Cc/Bcc is in the address lines
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Fine........

There's the "To:" field, where you type the recipients address, what appears just below that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
However, i DO NOT want my info shared with any other 3rd party.......

I do not understand your last comment about a 3rd party.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Under "To" then it shows the Cc line, which is always blank unless I put something in there.

There should also be a "From:" field, maybe on your iPad it's different then mine, but you should be able to see which email address the email is "From" - do you see that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, had to check. If I COMPOSE an email, the top line is "FROM" which shows my name/email address. Under that is TO, the Bc/Cc lines.

OK, and you should be able to change what is in the "From" field by tapping on it and scrolling through at least three options (iCloud, MSN and Outlook) - and I suppose MSN and Outlook might look exactly the same, if they're using the same email address. Please try that to see which one works.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok hang on!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK.......can't seem to find that!!! BUT, I did just discover that I also have an email address that is THE SAME as my MSN email, but it says ***************@******.***!!!!!!!!!! Who knew!!!!!��������
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just need to delete my outlook acct IF that will not totally screw up my MSN email, as that is the important one, and the one listed on my job applications. Can I do that safely??????����

Two possible solutions:

1. Get the Outlook account password ***** fixed.

2. Delete the Outlook account, you could always add it again later if you do need it - and, of course, after the password ***** is fixed.

A third option, you could "Disable" the Outlook account in Settings.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll delete it. NEVER use it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok

Please let me know what happens?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just deleted the outlook acct!! Seeing that I didn't even know that I had it, couldn't be that important.......I hope!!!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now what?????

Try sending an email.

When you send an email, you did say you see what the email is sending "From" right? I hope it does say "*****@******.***", right?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2 messages that did not send, I changed the FROM to my iCloud acct and they were sent. HOWEVER, this doesn't fix my MSN acct, which is my primary acct..............
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
HELLO?????? Bob???!!

I'm here, just reading your comment.

So then it truly is a password ***** with the MSN account on the iPad. Are you prompted for a password ***** any time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
a password ***** with MSN. However, I am never asked for my password ***** any time. But, in my settings the acct is apparently password ***** I have tripled checked the info in settings, under mail, and do not see any issues. Just keep getting the same message.

When you say "in my settings the acct is apparently password *****", that is what I meant earlier - are you prompted for a password ***** you go into the settings for the account? That is where the password ***** to be entered. It's not different from your email address password, it is the same - please just enter your email address password ***** that point and it should allow you into the settings, thus updating/correcting the password ***** that account.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, thanks for your time, but I need to get ready for work at this point!!!! Guess I'll just have to switch my "From" to my iCloud acct until I get this fixed........!!

OK, when you get a chance - please go back into Settings, Mail, and tap on the MSN account - enter your email address password ***** that point and it should allow you into the settings, thus updating/correcting the password ***** that account.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've done that many, many times, but to no avail!!!!! Even when i update my password!!! So, I'm just not sure what could possibly be the issue!! :-(
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
By Bob......have a good day!!! And thanks! Do you know what will happen to the charges for this, as it wasn't fixed?????!!

I know you must get ready for work, so allow me to offer this for later. The account is simply 'corrupt' - in other words, everything "looks" fine to our human eyes, but somewhere in the iPad it just is not correct. So, when you have more time, please consider this option - add the MSN account a 2nd time in Settings -> Mail - without deleting the existing instance, so you don't lose stuff. Then you would have 2 instances of the same account, but one would work and the other, well, just doesn't.

As for the charges, hopefully my final comment/suggestion will work - so let's consider the charges later :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just tried to do this!!!!! But, once again, it is asking for a password ***** when I enter it, it says it is incorrect!!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just making me crazy!!!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just tried creating acct again, NOW it says the imap password ***** *****!!!!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where can I retrieve that info????????? ;-(

I'm looking it up, please give me a few minutes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It DIDN'T work.........!!!!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry......and thanks!

Please try this later:

(full article is here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-email-using-the-iOS-Mail-app-7e5b180f-bc8f-45cc-8da1-5cefc1e633d1?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1)

Use these instructions if you have any @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @msn.com, @live.com, @outlook.co.uk, or any custom domain email addresses that are hosted on Outlook.com.

Go to your device's Settings, scroll down to Mail, tap Accounts >Add Account.

Note: If you have not updated to iOS 10, go to your device's Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account.

Device Settings > Mail Add Account

Choose Outlook.com.

Choose Outlook

Enter your Outlook.com account email address. Tap Next.

Enter Outlook.com email address

Enter your password ***** with your email account. Tap Sign In.

Enter password ***** sign in

If you're prompted to enter server settings, enter the following and continue.

Email: your full email address.

Server: s.outlook.com.

Username: your full email address.

Password: email account password.

Note: Double-check that everything is spelled correctly.

Outlook may request certain permissions. To agree, tap Yes. Then choose the apps you want your email account to sync with your iOS device and tap Save.

Note: If you're prompted to create a passcode, tap Continue and type a numeric passcode. If you're prompted and don’t set up a passcode, you can’t view this account on your device. But you can set up a passcode later in your settings.

Your email account is now ready for use with the iOS Mail app!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, I'll try that tomorrow!!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a way to save that most recent info you sent me??? Will it go into my email so I can reference it at a later date??
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As I don't have time to do it right now!

It is always available here, at JustAnswer.com. I can send again if necessary also. I'm here to help :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks.....gotta get ready for work!!

I hope you're able to try setting up the account from scratch again, please let me know what the results are?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No luck!

I've done my best, ***** ***** now opt out of this inquiry. There may be other professionals that can offer assistance.
Thank you and have a good night.

Expert:  Josh replied 10 months ago.

Hi Susan,

A new expert here --

Do you have 2-step verification enabled on your MSN account?