Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius
Experience:  Training and Development at Scientifically Speaking
81238384

I am having problems with my mail program receiving and

Customer Question

I am having problems with my mail program receiving and sending email from various email accounts. Most of the problems are communication or password ***** I have tried changing the passwords at the source and then telling mac mail program the new password ***** I still get errors. MAC 10.11.6, Mail V.9.3
Category: Mac
Expert:  Justin Johnson replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I am Justin. Please give me a few minutes to go over your question.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok, let me know if you need more information.

Typically to resolve issues with multiple accounts the account will need to be removed in Internet accounts and then re added. As long as you have the right passwords this should not be a problem. Can you log into these account via a web browser with the password ***** know?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes, so I should delete the mail accounts in mac mail that are having problems and then add them back in?

That would correct the issue. It is my suggested way to resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It worked for one account. However my other account which was receiving email but not able to send it, now can not connect at all. Issues with an expired certificate and not wanting to trust the site. Even if I tell the mail program to trust the site it will still not connect.

The old cert may need deleted first. Try this. The cert should be named similar to the name of the e-mail company.

Click on the "Finder" icon in the Dock.

Click on the "Go" menu at the top of the window and select "Utilities".

Double-click on "Keychain Access".

Select "Certificates" from the list of categories.

Click on the certificate you want to delete. An untrusted certificate has a red "X" symbol under its name. Click on "Edit" at the top of the screen and click "Delete". Confirm the decision by clicking "Delete" again when prompted.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Well I found a certificate with the same name but a different date and deleted it. It seemed to work, when I tested sending a message that also seemed to work but has not shown up yet in my other email. Then the same untrusted message came up, I looked for that certificate that has the same name as last time but was unable to find it (Do I need to delete the 'key' symbol with the same name as the certificate?) My mail program started reloading all my emails from that server until I hit my email quota. It gave me a you have hit your email quota error then reverted back to untrusted certificate error

Who is your e-mail provider that said you reached your limit?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Web.com which hosts my business email. I changed a user setting which fix that error.

Right on. Please don't forget to rate my service. :)