Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

For a friend. Her MacBook Pro 13 inch 2013. Unable to OS X

Customer Question
For a friend. Her MacBook...
For a friend. Her MacBook Pro 13 inch 2013. Unable to OS X Recovery over internet as stops with -2002F. Hard drive was replaced due to damage.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Serial is C1MLVKYWDTY3
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. The hard drive suffered node failure and was not recoverable with Disk Utility. I've created a new El Capitan Install USB but the Macbook won't recognise it as bootable. I'm wodering if there is a fundamental failure that caused the issue in the first place
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Literally everything - the basic hardware seems ok but it impossible to get OS X back on with a re-install. IT had Mavericks on originally. Do I have to go back to that due to the recovery process?
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
11/9/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

That error indicates a issue with internet that prevents the necessary files from downloading to reinstall OS X. Since you are getting that error, that means the core components of Mac are working. So it is related to hard drive issue.

You don't have to go to Mavericks. It even support latest Sierra.

So my question is, how did you create the USB drive ?

And what method did you use to boot into that drive ? Did you hold down Option key at start up ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ashik,I have finally managed to get it to work by downloading the Install Mavericks App on my own MacBook Pro and using sudo to create a bootable USB. This then wouldn't install due to a verification error which is resolvable by inputting the correct date and time via terminal with the date message. Install finally worked. The owner can now upgrade to Sierra using her own Apple id.Apples own recovery process for a totally failed drive seems to say that you have to go back to the original build of OSX that the MacBook Pro came with - in this case Mavericks. When I tried to go earlier with Snow Leopard it wouldn't boot and neither would it work with El Capitan. The original problem seems to be I kept getting the -2002F error on the internet recovery but there was nothing I could find to explain the exact reason for the failure in the Apple Support area.Siobhan

Hi Siobhan, That is a error related to internet. It is not necessary to reinstall Mavericks. You could have created the disk with DiskMakerX and it should've worked. Anyway, I'm glad you sorted it out

Best Regards,

Mike, Mac Medic