Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My Apple TV quits working whenever my Apple Computer in the

Customer Question
office goes to sleep. JA: Just...
My Apple TV quits working whenever my Apple Computer in the office goes to sleep.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Apple Macbook Pro 15" with the latest OS - I just updated.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: No, I just go in and wake my Apple Computer back up and Apple TV comes back.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
11/7/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 1 year ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

That is very unusual behavior. Do you have home sharing turned on?

Are these devices plugged into the same outlet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, my Apple computer is in my home office and the Apple TV is in the den.

The only way for this to be the case is if you are in the middle of watching content from home sharing. If the computer goes to sleep then it will not be sharing the content anymore and there for the Apple TV will stop displaying whatever content you are viewing. This is not something that is going to change. I have an iMac I run all of my content through and I don't ever let it go to sleep. I let the screen turn off, but the computer is never asleep.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try that, but I purchased the show through the Apple TV unit. Is it because I have home sharing turned on that makes it go through my Apple computer?
The content is most likely saving to your laptop. If you are able to access the content without your laptop home then it is not. I would suggest moving through the menus with your laptop off and see what you can do. There is not hard link between them unless you have home sharing on.

Please leave me feedback to know how your service was.

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius