Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My iMac will only boot up to a screen no fut. I bought it

Customer Question
My iMac will only boot...
My iMac will only boot up to a white screen butt no fut
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: i bought it new in 2012 I believe
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've unplugged all external devices except for dark drives. I can't boot it into recovery or get it to respond to any command. I tried to boot it into safe mode but no luck
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don't yhink so
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/3/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

Can you attempt the following please

Shut down your Mac.
Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Tell me if you can then get the computer to complete loading.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will not reboot after waiting several minutes . Still see white screen

ok, if you Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

It also remains at the white screen correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Apple logo comes up with the bar below but te
Bare fills part way then the white screen

ok, and if you hold SHIFT and power it on with SHIFT held, same thing correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
back to the white screen.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Give me info on the "offers"

Thanks, ***** ***** are not needed as we confirmed the issue

It is the internal Sata port on the mainboard that has faulted.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Mac to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Told you I was not having a good day! :-) You have to have a good sense of humor on days like this.Thanks for your help.

You do indeed!

Sorry it is not better news but at least you now know

Let me know if you need anything else and please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top then submit.

Thank you

Richard, Apple Software Engineer