Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am attempting to configure a printer on my old iMac G5 and

Customer Question
I'm having no luck.I am...
I am attempting to configure a printer on my old iMac G5 and I'm having no luck.I am connecting through my wireless router which I have done successfully on my later model latptops.I am using a Pantum 2502 laser printer. It seems part of the issue is when I installed the print software it corrupted my pringer setup and it crashed. I had to reinstall the OS X to get my print setup accessible.The OS X 10.5 does not have a genetic print driver in the menu.So to sum this up I can not network into the printer.Thank you,Paul
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
11/1/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Paul, you can download the correct driver from the Pantum website:

http://global.pantum.com/global/drive/p2502w/

Let me know if that works ok for you?

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this a driver for a 10.5 OS X,I posted that I installed the software from panting and I believe it is what you posted. It crashed my printer setup and I had to re install the OS X. This is my backup machine. Both of my laptops have GPU failures. I installed the drivers in both of those machines and networked to the printer through my asus router using 192.168.1.207If this is the only option, an incompatible pantomime driver I am sunk.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked up the pantomime driver and it is supposed to be compatible with anything above 10.4So I redownloaded and re ran the driver.I went to add a printer and it crashed the print setup which now will not open as it would not after the last attempt,I will need to reinstall the OS X again to fix it unless you know some trick.This is kind if maddening.Do we just live computer technology and all those -0-0-0sThey really make our day sometimes.P

Yes, that is the correct driver.

Something else may be causing a conflict.

Can you try holding shift when you start the Mac to enter safe mode, and then try again?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will give it a try but right now if I go into System
Preferences and click on scanners and printers the screen gets blown I and get a window to report it to Apple

Did it work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No luck,Same result,Click on printers and the window disappears and the report to Apple window opens.Safe mode is not the answer

Ok, let me check if the other techs have any idea on this one...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Pete,I believe the pantum driver is just not compatible with 10.5. That is my guess.It's likely not a Mac issue and it's likely that there could be done other driver that would do the job f I could locate one, but the printer setup is crashing because its liaising the driver so it's logical the driver is corrupting the OSX.If it's not possible it's not possible.
Thank you for trying
Mac Support Specialist: Robert, consultant replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, consultant

You can try resetting the print system

in Leopard, open the Print & Fax pane, then control-click in the Printers sidebar. you should get the option to reset.

this will remove all printers that you have setup. You would have to install them all again, so its up to you whether that would make it a larger pain than living without this printer.

Otherwise i would try using any basic laserjet driver and the ip address of the printer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The printer window crashes, what laser printer driver word you recommend?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The printer window will not open.I have to re install the OS X to get it back,What printer driver do you think is most generic. I believe the pantum driver is dimply incompatible even though they off it down to 10.4

It is a monochrome laser. So i would go with one of the early laserjets. thats about as generic as you can get.

I would really recommend going to at least osx 10.6 though. They made some major changes in the op system at that point. There is not much software or hardware these days that doesnt want at least snow leopard.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a PPP machine Robert,If I Could run later Intel OS X s I certainly would.All kinds of things do not load on PPP machines.I am using this machine as a back up. My two laptops quit and I am using to get this machine connected to my printer so I can print out files I need.The Mac OS X is a great thing, but their hardware is a disaster. In the last dozen years I have owner several Mac laptops and none are worth the gun powder it would take to blow them up. The pc machines I have owned all ran a good ten years.The macs have all had graphics issues and the MacBook is a piece of junk wth an invidia GPU issued with huge issues they could not have been ignorant of. I own two dead ones and have replaced numerous logic boards keeping them going. I fund a place that claims they have the problem worked out. I hope to get one of the two running today.The day there is a solid OS for other machines I will leave Mac to to the half blind who stare at these ocular degenerators I am typing on now, mini iPads are not for serious people.So much for progress ��
Robert
Robert
Robert, consultant