Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

MS Word for Mac freezes when I launch it, I get the patience

Customer Question
MS Word for Mac freezes...
MS Word for Mac freezes when I launch it
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I get the patience pinwheel. I've force quit, but when I relaunch it opens all the docs and freezes again. I cannot access the menus
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: OS X 10.9.5
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I read something about deleting plist files, but I cannot find them on my Mac
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
10/31/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

To start your mac in safe mode, start with the mac turned off. Press power then *immediately* press and hold the left shift key on the keyboard. Keep holding it till you hear the startup chime, then release. That should start you in safe mode.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Let me know if you get stuck or cannot shut down the mac to perform these steps.

Please rate the 5 stars at the top of the page to close out this question as it is the only way i am

credited for the work done with clients. Or, reply to continue if further troubleshooting is necessary.

~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This sounds like you want me to restart it twice. The first time with command, option, p, r. The second time in safe mode, is that right?

Yes. This will shut downa and restart mac a couple of times in the process.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I opened in safe mode but I cannot find "disk utility" when I type in the finder (no results are returned) or under applications.

One moment, i will send you directions for your version.

To start with, I need to know the version of mac osx you have on your machine, you can check as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10.9.5

do you see a name? maverick?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing.

No name with the version? can you get to your applications folder to look?

Follow these steps in OS X Yosemite or earlier:

1. Open Disk Utility, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. Select the startup disk from the list of volumes.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. To check permissions, click Verify Disk Permissions. To repair permissions, click Repair Disk Permissions.

Disk Utility checks a file's permissions only if the file has a corresponding receipt in /var/db/receipts. The receipt tells Disk Utility what the permissions should be. Not all installers include a receipt with the files they install.

If you are not able to use your finder, there is more going on in your mac than just freezing programs.

Could you get to any of your finders? top right mag. glass? smiley square face on doc that puts it up on top left?

applications folder?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've opened the Disk Utility. There are 2 options, 500.11 GB APPLE HDD... Or Macintosh HD.

macintosh hd

if you are still having issues after this? reinstall for me too:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can open the finder, I can type in the search, but it came up with no results for disk or utility. I tried "all my files" and "this Mac" option. It works fine when I am not in safe mode.

Then lets restart mac normally.

and try to repair and then reinstall os if you are still freezing.

Let me know how it goes and we will move on from there. I need to leave for a bit; as it is halloween.

If this doesnt fix your issue, please tell me what version of word you have and we will go into preferences

and dig thru there to resolve your issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Iwont lose anything if I reinstall Mac OS will I?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My word version is 2011

No, mac doesnt work the same way windows does. You will not loose info.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am uncomfortable taking a chance on reinstalling as I do not have a good back up at the moment. Can we try to troubleshoot some other way with Word first?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I unistalled and reinstalled me office and the issue Still appears, but only on my user profile.

Then we will have to fix your profile. I will open this up to experts; as this question

already knows your next move, but i will be out until late afternoon today. If it hasnt

been picked up/finished when i get in, i will message you to continue. Please standby

Mac Support Specialist: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 1 year ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you.
Please tell me if you still require assistance with the Word for Mac issue?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need assistance

OK. Since there could be several possible causes of the problem, I suggest we establish a secure remote session so that I can see the problem myself and help you directly.

Let me if you would like that.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I not want to pay $39 for remote assistance.

That is the default price. The best I can do for you is lower it to $19. I am sending you an offer with the lowered price. You can accept it if you want to proceed with a secure remote assistance.

May I know if you received an offer for a Secure Remote Assistance with the lowered price ($19)?

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

IT Miro, Computer Scientist