Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

Trying to watch purchased movies from iMovie and we have to

Customer Question

trying to watch purchased movies from iMovie and we have to wait ages (maybe 45 mins) before it loads enough data to start playing the movie. Pretty unbearable. No such delay playing Netflix movies on the same config
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: It's a gen 4 AppleTV straight out of the box if that tells you which IOS?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Have not installed any updates since purchase which was about 6 months ago. Usually we watch Netflix with no problems but have just started trying to watch from iMovie so dont know if it was ever any different.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not much other than calling you guys. Only thing I have done is run speediest to check our download speed which is around 4 to 6 MbPS. Not great I know but seems to be just fine for Netflix streaming. I assumed iMove would be similarly OK?
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just seek a solution. Should iMovie require some threshold download speed that is higher than Netfli?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

the Movies are a lot different to how Netflix does this. Netflix streams while with Apple they need to be downloded

For 4-6 MBPS it is right the speeds you say

You can see this here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201587

This is because it first downloads it then it plays it, rather then the way Netflix does it which is to stream the content as it plays.

This you can only change by increasing your bandwidth speed with your provider

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you