Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I ran bitdefender on my mac book air and got a puzzling note

Customer Question
that there are threats called...
I ran bitdefender on my mac book air and got a puzzling note that there are threats called Exploit.CVE-6123.Gen that are classified as "disinfect failed". What should I do?
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is about 4 or 5 years old and is running on 10.9.5
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just ran the bit defender software
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
10/30/2016
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. In order to fully clean some viruses, trojans, and malware, you will have to start your computer in SAFE MODE and run bit defender. If Bit Defender doesn't clean the offending exploit, you may need to enlist the aid of some free cleaning programs like Malware Bytes. I am attaching a pdf file with instructions for cleaning just about anything off your MAC, in case bit defender in Safe Mode doesn't solve the problem.

BOOT YOUR MAC IN SAFE MODE

1. Restart your Mac
2. As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key
3. Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.
4. Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient). PART THREE - running the scans When you have successfully rebooted into safe mode: 1) Run MalwareBytes. It may be a lengthy process. Allow Malware Bytes to remove or clean anything that it finds. 2) Run Ccleaner. Click on run cleaner in the bottom right corner of the window. Click on ok. If you are asked to close Google Chrome please do so. When that is complete please click on the Applications Tab and repeat the process. Next, click on Registry, and then on Scan for issues. When the scan has completed, please click Fix Selected Issues. Click yes, then click save, and when it completes (this one will be quick) click on close. 3) Check your browsers (Safari and Google Chrome and Firefox, if you have them ) by going to settings and looking for any add-ons that aren’t necessary or that you can’t identify. Finally, reboot your computer and hopefully everything will be clean and there will no viruses , spyware, or malware.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist