Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I just purchased a WD MY Passport external drive, formatted

Customer Question
for Windows. How do I...
I just purchased a WD MY Passport external drive, formatted for Windows. How do I reformat it for my Macbook Pro?
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It's about 8 years old (dual core processor) running OS 10.6.8
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. My Startup disk is full, and I need to store some files and photos on an external drive so I can update.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
10/28/2016
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 1 year ago
John T. F., Mac Druid

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

In the Finder, click on "Go" in the menubar and choose "Utilities"

Locate the "Disk Utility" app and open it

In the left hand sidebar, choose your external WD Hard Drive

then click the Erase tab.

From the Format pop-up menu, select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", type a name for your disk, and then click Erase.

After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility in the menu bar at the top of the display.

It should now be ready for use on your Mac.

John T. F., Mac Druid