Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

ITunes could not connect to the iPad “iPad” because an

Customer Question

iTunes could not connect to the iPad “iPad” because an invalid response was received from the device. I get this message after the last ipad air upgrade
JA: Are you using the latest version of iTunes?
Customer: 12.2.2.25
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes...the ipad had this window popping... it does not give you any choices. you upgrade or it keep asking daily...
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: usb cable,
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: reinstalled itune
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The problem is, You are using latest iOS 10 on your iPad but an old iTunes on your computer. You need iTunes 12.5 or later to work with iOS 10.

Are you using an Apple Mac or Windows PC ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Mac
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but i just upgraded to the latest version of itune?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. You can see the version number there

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
10.7.5 and I can't upgrade further. I will loose too many other softwares... (logic pro..etc.)
Everything was fine and syncing well between my ipad air and itune, up to about 3 weeks ago, when I upgraded the ipad.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I get 2 messages when trying to sync...
iTunes could not connect to the iPad “iPad” because an invalid response was received from the device.
and
Photos in the Camera Roll of "iPad" cannot be imported because the device is locked with a passcode.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

The latest iTunes is 12.5 and it requires OS X 10.9 or later. You need to upgrade your Mac OS X 10.7 to latest version. The latest is 10.12 Sierra. This is your only way to fix this problem. The problem you are having is incompatibility issue with Mac and iPad version and there is no other way to make it work.

Follow the steps below to upgrade the OS X if your Mac support it.

Click on the Apple icon and App Store. This will bring App Store. Click Updates tab. If your Mac can handle latest OS X, then you will see macOS Sierra there with FREE UPGRADE button. Click Free Upgrade and enter your Apple ID and password.

This will download the update. It may take a few hours to download. Once the download is completed, it will bring the OS X Installer. Follow the onscreen instructions to install it. It may take up to 3 hours to install the upgrade.

I know you are looking for a solution, but this is your only way to fix this problem. If you are not satisfied, please don't rate me bad or poor or OK as it will badly affect my job here. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied.

If you don't want to upgrade, then you have to sync your iPad with via iCloud with your Mac. You can use Dropbox application to transfer photos etc to your Mac.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't upgrade the computer... how do i sync the ipad with icloud without going through itune? the last icould backup of my ipad (before the upgrade) would have the previous version of the ipad? Can't that be restore?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This answer was not helpful... I was aware of the incompatibility issue...but my system was stable before this "forced" ipad upgrade...This is affecting my business and could make me loose countless hours of work...
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

On your iPad, go to Settings > iCloud and turn on all options. Then on Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud and sign in to same account you used on your iPad. Then enable options to sync. This will sync stuffs via iCloud.

But this will not transfer contents from iTunes to iPad or vice versa.

Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade now. Apple stopped the signing of iOS 9.3.5 last week. So it is not possible to downgrade now.

I'm sorry, I can only give you what the truth it and upgrading is the only solution. Please don't shoot the messenger if you are not satisfied

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

It was possible to downgrade to iOS 9.3.5 until Oct 19. See here --> http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/19/apple-stops-signing-ios-935-halting-any-downgrades-from-ios-10

You can sync Calendar, Contacts etc, with iCloud. To transfer documents and stuffs, you can use Dropbox or Google Drive.

The other work around is, get an external hard drive and install latest version of macOS on it. So you can use iPad with your Mac booting to that drive and you can switch this OS any time you want.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
None of this will help... i need itune to bring music into the ipad music library... I use an app that links my music soundtracks to my lead sheets via the ipad music library. This is insane... I have no control over apple of how the app operates... my business depends on everything I PURCHASED $$$... and suddenly no longer works...