Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I have a 6S - lately occasionaly the screen does not

Customer Question

I have a 6S - lately occasionaly the screen does not recognize my touch - partucul;arly in the telephone mode
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: whaty?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes the most recent a week or so ago but it was dfoing it before that
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none really - i turn the phone off then back on and the problem is fixed temporaril;y
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mac
Expert:  Josh replied 12 months ago.

Hi!

How old is the phone?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Um maybe 28 months - 2 yrs
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Oops 18 mos
Expert:  Josh replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. The reason that I was asking is because I wanted to see if it was covered under the warranty for a repair/replacement but it is outside of the 1 year warranty.

This type of issue with the touch sensor can be either software or hardware related. The iPhone does not have the capability to calibrate the screen again like some devices allow. Since, the issue has been going on for a while and it continues to happen again after a reboot, it is likely that the screen would need to be replaced. If that is the case, it would cost around $100-$150 for the screen and labor. An Apple store or a local "U Break I Fix" type of shop can replace the screen for you and quote you for their job. I would recommend that you call around because the prices can vary drastically from place to place. For example, there is a shop around my location that would charge $225 and another that charges $140 so make sure to call around.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Josh replied 12 months ago.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have been thinking about the answer of 'get a new screen' - not sure this is a good answer - how is it that is only seems to be when I am trying to use the telephone feature that the screen is unresponsive? That would make it seem that is is not the screen per se but something else - otherwise wouldn't the screen be unresponsive at all or other times? - Barb
Expert:  Josh replied 12 months ago.

Barb,

Without physically holding the phone, I cannot tell where you are pressing during telephone mode and where you are pressing outside of the mode. Since this type of issue is "hands-on", I would recommend taking it to a local repair shop or Apple store and they can diagnosis it for you. The diagnosis/quote would be free and they can determine if the screen needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I understand you cannot blindly diagnose a issue like this but I've had an iPhone for many years and I'm pressing in the correct spot �� Thank you anyway
Expert:  Josh replied 12 months ago.
Sorry, for any confusion but I did not mean you are pressing in the wrong spot. I was referring to that I could see where on the screen you are pressing on a phone call rather than normal use.If you can take a minute to use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.
Expert:  Josh replied 12 months ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 3 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.