Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I don't like Sierra. Can I return to the previous system?

Customer Question
I don't like Sierra...
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: mac os Sierra
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I installed Sierra yesterday
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None. As soon as I installed Sierra my mac suddenly was working at half speed
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
10/23/2016
Mac Support Specialist: michelleclive, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Its is a long process you would need follow many steps

Back up your Mac
Create a bootable drive of OS X El Capitan
Erase macOS Sierra
Reinstall OS X El Capitan
Restore data from an earlier El Capitan Time machine backup

If you are ready let me know i will provide you step by step instructions however it will take a whole day process.

Sierra is a brand new update and if you keep working on it the speed will gradually increase and it will be back as it was before.

Bugs need to be removed and fixed as Apple is working 24/7 on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your format doesn't allow me to type my mobile number which is(###) ###-####or +61404116886

What is not allowing you to enter the mobile number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The space does not allow for more than(###) ###-#### So I can't type in the last two digits, i.e., 86
My number is(###) ###-####

I will open the question to other experts for there views.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok Michelle
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you sure you want to downgrade to El Capitan or previous version ?

It is not a straight forward process. For that, you have to get an external hard drive, backup all your files manually, then get an 8GB flash drive and make a bootable El capitan drive and boot into it. Then erase the hard drive, reinstall El Capitan and then restore files from external hard drive.

So start we need;

An external hard drive to backup your files

8GB or higher capacity flash/thumb drive.

Do you have these devices ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ashik - I'll contact my son today, who knows more about technology than I do. Your reply is not quite clear
to me: are you referring to TWO items, i.e., a hard drive AND an 8GB flash/thumb drive or is a hard
drive of 8GB called a flash/thumb drive? Can I purchase at the Apple store? If you could clarify this, I'll
speak to my son and decide whether to accept the offer of Secure Remote Assistance or not. Thank you
for your ongoing help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there new MacSupSpec,
I've talked to my puter-savvy son and he sighed and said best to get used to Sierra rather than
accept SRA. Apparently the enforced change of system is standard on Microsoft too. I understand
that you need a globally utilised system but I hope Apple understand how annoying it is for customers
locked into Apple Mac to have to re-learn what have become automatic, entrenched habits (especially
if you're 72 and technophobic). Whilst I have your attention (and I know this is not your area of responsibility)
perhaps you could pass on my irritation with the cavalier way iTunes is mismanaged. I may well be iTunes
best customer (having purchased 11,489 songs) and love the breadth of its range BUT when I find that the
Prelude to Act 1 of "Tristan & Isolde" comes up as "I've Been Hit" by Richard Wagner, played by Hoagy Carmichael and his band, I despair.
Thanks again for your help. I'll stay with Sierra. I'm sure I'll get used to it...by the time you change it again.

Hi there, Sorry for the delay. Yes, it is better to used to Sierra. Sooner or later, you will have to upgrade any way.

Not sure about the iTunes. Apple changed the design though and they will keep changing it. Sierra is still new and has lots of bugs, but Apple will release fixes soon. If you need any help with anything in Sierra, please let me know.

Have a great day,

Mike, Mac Medic