Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cannot log in with the password I have always used. I

Customer Question

I cannot log in with the password ***** have always used.
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: I tried to change my password ***** first and got the message that I had not set a password ***** I knew that I had. I cannot get on the computer at all.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, I was just on the computer within the last hour and wanted to change the admin password ***** that''s when the problems started.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing really except trying to find an answer using my iPad.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today. I see that you are having a problem with one of your passwords. Please, answer the questions below.

Is this password ***** with your wireless network? If so, what is the brand and model name of your wireless router?

Is this password ***** with an email account? If so, what comes after the @ sign in your email address?

Is this password ***** with any other type of website or system that I haven't mentioned? If so, what is it associated with?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is associated with a number of other accounts that I use. Can't think of them offhand.

Okay, which accounts are you referring to? All that I know right now is that you are having a problem with a "password". That is why I asked for you to enlighten me regarding what kind of password ***** is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The password ***** fine earlier when I signed on. The problem started when I tried to change it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the password ***** use when I turn the computer on and I have to Thorpe in my name and password ***** down below it says "sleep" "restart" and "shut down". I can't get past that page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Type

Okay. So the password ***** ***** password ***** use to sign into your computer. Which version of Windows or Mac OS are you using? Also, are you able to sign into any other account on the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a mac and I recently upgraded to the latest OS and no I can't get past the log in page.

Are you able to sign into any other account on the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm not.

Did the upgrade cause this problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No because that was a couple of weeks or so ago and I had not had a problem till today.

Have you turned the Mac off and on since the problem with the password *****?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not completely. I restarted it from the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just did turn it off and on again and nothing.

This is very odd. I understand that you were able to sign in earlier with the same password. Please, make sure that the caps lock key is not on and try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not on tried again still not letting me.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. I will do my best to help you. Let's begin by clicking on shut down. When it restarts, try to type in your password. Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry. I have since resolved the problem and everything is okay.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 12 months ago.

I'm happy to hear that. Have a good afternoon and evening!