How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Category: Mac
Satisfied Customers: 36526
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
Type Your Mac Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to wipe the HD of my old 2008 Intel chipped iMac

Customer Question

I want to wipe the HD of my old 2008 Intel chipped iMac running Snow Leopard O.S. before disposing it. I have read you load the original start up disc, but this only offers to load the operating system (Tiger). Can you advise the way forward please, thanks, Jeff
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I have owned it from 2008 but not an expert in operating systems. For reference I now have a new iMac.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not on the old iMac as Snow Leopard was the last update it could accept due to 32 wide word rather than later 64 wide (or is it 64 and now 128??). however I have just downloaded Sierra on this iMac I'm using now.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not a lot. In the past my son did it when required but not around now.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

you need to do the installation of Tiger then you upgrade it to Snow Leopard.

Your Son or whoever did it last time should still have this disk. If they lost it then you need to purchase it from my link below

Then use this disk to do the upgrade.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The answer did not answer my question. I no longer wish to continue with the Just Answer website, thank you. I shall be requesting a refund.

Related Mac Questions