Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

None of my applications will open. Yosemite, A couple weeks

Customer Question
None of my applications will...
None of my applications will open.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Yosemite
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: A couple weeks ago, and it has wanted me to since but it doesn't work because it says my hard disk doesn't have enough space.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried deleting some things, but what I need to do is to get an external hard drive and move my photos over, however, in the meantime, nothing is opening.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My iTunes also gets an error message every time I boot up - I'm not even trying to open it and the error message just pops up.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
10/20/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive partition. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column(Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Does it boot into desktop and are you able to open apps now ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Before I do try this, will any of these steps cause me to lose any files in the process? In particular, I'm concerned about my photos.

The above steps will not delete any files from your Mac. But if the system files are really corrupted, then it may make the Mac not to boot again until we reinstall the OS X. So it is better to backup all your important files an external hard drive before do any troubleshooting

You don't need to have any application to open to actually backup your files. In Finder, go to Home folder and open Pictures folder. You will see your iPhoto or Photos Library there. Copy it to your external hard drive.

Also back up your iTunes Library same way (from Home folder).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. It is freezing during file backup (pinwheel). Any tips for keeping this from happening?

If it is freezing frequently, then it is possible that the hard drive is failing. You should keep trying to backup your files ASAP. Don't restart your Mac until you backup all your files. Backup small files like documents and stuffs first, then backup large files like iPhoto Library or iTunes Library.

And do not try the previous troubleshooting steps until you backup all your files

If it is not allowing to backup the entire library at a time, then lets try to backup the photos individually. Go to your Pictures folder. Then right click or control click on your iPhoto or Photos Library and select Show Package Contents. This will open the contents in Finder. You will see Masters or Originals folder there. This folder contains all your photos. Open this folder and you will see multiple folders with years.

Backup one folder at a time in there. This may allow you to backup without giving much stress on hard disk

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ashik, I was able to get about 400 photos backed up to an external drive and now it won't even let me login. It just sits there frozen every time I try. What should I try now?

Hi there, Sorry for the delayed response. Had to go offline since it was very late in here. Can you try the suggestions I sent you ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ashik, I am trying your first set of instructions. I am in the Disk Utility and have selected "Verify Disk". It does not ask me to repair it, but it just listed a number of things in the large box in the middle of the screen. Does it usually take a while before it asks to repair? Or does this mean I don't need to repair? I'm not sure what it is doing, if anything.

Hi there.

Yes, it may take a while to scan the hard drive and if Repair is needed, it will ask you to repair it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, so I should just wait and see what it does? Will a message pop up and ask me to repair it, and if no repairs are needed, will it give me other instructions?

If you see the Verify Disk button lit up again, that means it is finished. Also, when it is finishes, you will not see any progress bar. So it is probably finished. So restart and try the other steps

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I had to do all the steps you mentioned in your first message to me, and now it seems I'm back in on the desktop, but I'm afraid to do anything. What should I do first? My first priority is to back up my files and then delete them to free up disk space, but I'm worried that activity will make it crash again. What do you recommend?

Go ahead and try to backup all your files. Once you backup your files, we can do the troubleshooting without any worries

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, now it's not seeing my flash drive that I want to use for my backups. Any suggestions?

Teyit in another USB port. If that didn't work then restart normally

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, it's working now, but I am noticing a few files that are gone. Is there anyway to retrieve those, or to even know which ones are missing?

No easy way. Can you try to backup entire library ow ?

It seems my answer didn't post here. So I'm posting again.

Running Disk Utility won't delete anything. You can search the missing files on Spotlight (search at top right). Also, check the Trash for the missing files.

Also, go to Pictures folder and then backup your entire iPhoto Library now to external hard drive or flash drive. Let me know once your important files are backed up, so we can do further troubleshooting.

Ashik, Mac Technician