Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Downloaded MacOS Sierra. Now Outlook does not allow me to

Downloaded MacOS Sierra. Now Outlook does not allow me to email word documents. Message says make sure mail program is configured and allows mail to be sent. Worked perfectly before. Not happy. :-(

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Can you send messages without attachments?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry i can send existing attached files w emails that I create in outlook. What does not happen now is when I am in finder or have just completed a word or excel file I cannot merely share the file which normally would create the outlook email w attachment ready to indicate to whom it was addressed.

So you were doing this from within the Word app?

If it is opening your Apple Mail app you need to do this:

Set up your default email reader

Your default mail reader is what's used when you're browsing a web page and share it via email with a friend or colleague, or mail it to yourself for further reading. The Mac default is to use the Mail app, but you can change the default to Outlook.

1. Open Finder > Applications.

2. Select Mail.

3. Select Mail > Preferences.

4. On the General tab, in Default email reader, select Microsoft Outlook.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mike thanks. I did what you suggested however the default is shown already as Microsoft Outlook. Any ideas? Txs P

Change it to Mail then try it again, then change it back to Outlook

If the problem persists: you can reset the default email client that is saved by LaunchServices, it can become corrupted. You can reset the database with the following command in Terminal (copy-paste the whole thing then hit Return):

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -all local,system,user

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mike seems to have reset and taken as needed. Many thanks for the assist and speak later (maybe not). BR P

Thank you