Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am having problems with iWeb. When I make an object a

I am having problems...

I am having problems with iWeb. When I make an object a Hyperlink, it disappears when the page is published and viewed in a browser. The cursor changes to a hand when I roll over it, but it is no longer visible. When I remove the hyperlink and re-publish, it reappears. I am running El Capitan.

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?

Please look at the final sentence of my question. You will see that it says the following: I am running El Capitan.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I have tried different browsers. I have emptied the cache in both Safari and Chrome. No luck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried this with graphic elements (rectangle, circle, etc.) and with text boxes. As long as they are not hyperlinks, they appear in the browser after publishing. But if I should enable the object as a hyperlink, it is no longer visible after publication. Please tell me how I can fix this without having to reinstall an old operating system. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Old hyperlink objects that were created before moving to El Capitan work fine and are visible. However, when I take an old object and convert it to a hyperlink, it disappears. Evidently El Capitan does not allow iWeb to properly parse the code that is generated when a hyperlink is created causing it to disappear.
10/19/2016
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

This is a known issue with El Capitan.

Can you try on a machine running a different OS and let me know if it works ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I cannot. All of my web content, as well as all the graphic software I use to create it, is on my MacBook Air and I would be unable to manage it on another computer. In any case, all the computers I have access to are running either El Capitan or Sierra. I understand the iWeb is an orphaned program, but it seems there should be some sort of workaround. Here's one that I've discovered. 1) Design the object you wish become a hyperlink and put into place. 2) Do not make it a hyperlink. 3) Take a screenshot of the item using Cmd-Shft 4 while holding down the Cntrl key. 4) Paste (Cmd V) and place the pasted graphic image into place after removing the original. 5) Make the pasted object a hyperlink. This is kludgy, but it works. Now please send ME $5!

That is one workaround, another would be to use a different coloured background.

I am a user of this site just like you, I have nothing to do with the payments.

Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was joking about the $5. I do not understand how changing the background colo(u)r would make a difference? To what color should I change it? Will changing the background allow me to make objects created in iWeb into hyperlinks without causing them to disappear? I'm afraid I don't get it. Kindly clarify. Thank you.

From reading your initial description, the hyperlink is not visible in a browser, but still exists - does it appear as white text on a white background, making it invisible?

Do you have a link to the website?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't appear at all. It's invisible. When I rollover the cursor becomes a hand. Clicking at that point executes the hyperlink.

Do you have a link to the website so I can see the problem more clearly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here's the link: http://www.pbifs.com/PBIFS/HOME.html. Scroll down to the lower left side of the page. There you will see two maroon rounded rectangle buttons. The lower one reads: "Click here to view a directory of our previous four seasons." Clicking this button will take you to another page at this site. If you roll your cursor to a spot directly below this button, you will observe that it turns into a hand. Clicking at this point will take you to the same page. The visible one is a screenshot that I pasted in and then made into a hyperlink. The second one is an object created in iWeb. A rounded rectangle fro the SHAPES menu, colored with a gradient, outlined with a white border, given a drop shadow and with the formatted text typed into the shape. If I publish at this point, the button will appear, but it will not be functional. If I convert it to a hyperlink and then publish the page, the button will NOT appear but it will be functional. Please let me know if I am being sufficiently clear in my description of the issue. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If that link doesn't work, just type: pbifs.com into your browser.

Ok, cool site! I see the problem with the hyperlinks more clearly now.

Is this only happening with new links that you add to the site?

Is it only happening with some button types?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know. Yes, it is only happening with buttons created after upgrading to El Capitan. I'm not sure what you mean by button types. It is happening anytime I employ the hyperlink tool to an object I created in iWeb. That could be a text box or a shape. It does not happen to pasted-in bitmap graphics. It doesn't matter what type of hyperlink: Link to one of my pages, link to another website, link to an email. They all make the object disappear.

Ok, an option may be disabled or turned off..

Check the main menu iWeb > Preferences... and make sure that the third option 'Show text imaging indicator' is switched on.

Or you could try linking only the text, not the text box.

If a background is needed, try using the color fill option, not the background fill.

If the linked text is over an image that is also linked, undo the image link.

If the link still disappears, try changing the font.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried it and yes, the background button showed up but the hyperlinked text did not. I tried two other fonts, same result.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Visit the site and see what I mean. www.pbifs.com.

Ok, then iWeb is definitely not performing as it should when used with El Capitan!

I expect they are working on a fix for this glitch.

In the meantime, you have found a great workaround for this problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am certain that they (I presume you mean Apple) are NOT working on correcting this problem. This program was orphaned 3 years ago. The version I am using is 8 years old. We're on our own. Just like Pages '09 that with each new OS iteration becomes more and more broken. Too bad. Both iWeb and Pages '09 are great pieces of software. And there is very little out there to replace them.

I mean Apple should be working on a patch for El Capitan to reduce the conflict between OS X and any legacy apps.

Are you considering updating to Sierra?

Pete, Computer Engineer