Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My iPad showed Apple symbol then goes to spinning wheel then

My iPad showed Apple symbol then goes to spinning wheel then goes to iTunes symbol and FireWire.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sorry about the issue. That screen indicates that the either firmware/software of your iPad is corrupted or the internal board has failed. First we can reset your iPad and see if it works or not. Disconnect it from power or computer if connected. Then press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot.

If that didn't work, then your only option is to force-restore the iPad to factory settings through iTunes application (from computer) by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is the only way to get it to working condition unless it is hardware related.

But if you've backed up your iPad to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPad from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPad (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. My computer is not recognizing my FireWire now, so I'm not sure if I can connect it to iTunes. Will do what I can.

Not sure if the issue is with the cable. Do you have another cable to check ? If so, try it. Also restart your computer, and plug in the iPod to different USB port.

Then open iTunes and put the iPod to DFU Mode again. iTunes should recognize it now

Not sure if the issue is with the cable. Do you have another cable to check ? If so, try it. Also restart your computer, and plug in the iPad to different USB port.

Then open iTunes and put the iPad to DFU Mode again. iTunes should recognize it now

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My husband said the same thing about the cable. He will try your suggestions next.

Ok, if possible try this also from his or another computer. This will rule out if there is any issue with the computer. Good luck