Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Startup disk full - 90% of storage is "other"

Customer Question
startup disk full - 90% of storage is "other"
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
10/13/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

You can use this sweeper to find the files and show them and you can choose what you want to delete from there: (if you are 10.8 and higher)

https://www.omnigroup.com/more

Please leave a reply and we will go from there or find another method if you are under 10.8 version.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mac OS X 10.7.5
Can I try software update with only 2.23 GB free out of 120 GB?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With 120 GB of "other" and 16 GB of photos, movies,apps I'm afraid there is a glitch somewhere creating a loop.

One moment please. I will redirect for your 10.7

You can use this one to help with your clean up, but it is a paid version i believe.

http://www.easemac.com/

it will run with your version to repair the spaces.

~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have read about the apps that automatically search and clean macs, but am a bit reluctant.
I'd rather have someone either determine what the 102 GB of "other" is or look at disk logs and see if there is a snag somewhere that is creating a continually growing file.

In OS X El Capitan or earlier, “Other” files are those that your Mac doesn't recognize as belonging to any other category. These include files within disk images or archives, data stored by apps such as Contacts or Calendar, and app plug-ins or extensions. When your Mac is in Safe Mode, all files are categorized as Other.

The reason i sent the program is it will open those up and 'show' you what those files are instead of

labeling them as 'other'.

the only way to go in is empty your trash immediately. restart your mac. and then see if 'other' is still showing

that amount.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right - I read that very paragraph on my own a little earlier. I'd pay for remote access if the "expert" was able to do manually what the cleaners do - at least for the largest memory hogs. I was hoping to avoid installing cleaning software because it sometimes goes wrong. I already emptied trash and rebooted computer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to go pick up my son. I appreciate your time but feel we didn't really get anywhere. I'm not excited about paying the $23 but don't want to give you a poor rating. What do you advise?

I can do this for you. But you can do this as well. You go thru each folder and delete what you

dont want. Its that simple. I can do this for you if you wish, granted you have time.

I advise to do a remote support with me and we go through together, do it on your own, or use the cleaner.

Those are the options we have before us.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can i get back to you later?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will the conversation stay "open"?

Absolutely. We understand you have a life and cannot just put everything down. We accommodate for that

at your time preference. All you have to do is update me when you are ready and we continue as we are now.

I do not close out unless YOU are ready. I am on EST. 5pm here.

Just update when ready, tonight, tomorrow etc. and it comes to my email.

Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin