Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am trying to get Skype to work, el Captian, yes, I have

Customer Question
hi i am trying to...
hi i am trying to get Skype to work
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: el Captian
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have never had Skype I just tried to install and when i make a call it says "video is turned off"
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
10/12/2016
Mac Support Specialist: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 1 year ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

To confirm, you installed Skype on your Mac computer and see this "video is turned off" message when trying to make a video call?

Let me know,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you tell me where tools, options are

I see "yes" and "no".

What is the answer to:

Did you install Skype on your Mac computer and see this "video is turned off" message when trying to make a video call?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no thank you
i want to learn how to do this
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you can't tell me, i have to leave for a meeting.

Oh, you are referring to an offer for a Secure Remote Assistance. That's fine, you can just ignore it, so we can use the chat instead.

First, make sure to exit FaceTime or any other program that may be using your video camera. You can also restart the computer and then start Skype. See if that worked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I restarted 2x and do not have FaceTime
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I uploaded the newest version of Skype a few times

OK. Tools/Options is for a Windows version of Skype. For a Mac version, you need to start Skype and then click on the "Skype" menu located in the top left corner and then choose Preferences...

There click on the Audio/Video tab.

What does it say for "Camera"?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Camera says FaceTime HD camera

OK. Do you see yourself when you click on the Audio/Video tab? Also, can you choose another camera from the Camera drop-down box?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No other option and o can see myself

Is this a built-in camera or an external one?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Built in

OK, let's check if your camera works with FaceTime. Please find the FaceTime icon that has green background with a white camera and a little green phone. If you don't see it, use the search box located in the top right corner of the desktop screen (Spotlight) and type FaceTime there and press Enter.

Let me know if you see yourself on the right.

You can sign in to FaceTime using your exiting Apple ID.

I think there is at least one program that is open and using the camera, causing a problem to Skype. Skype requires all programs that can use a camera to be closed. So, I suggest opening the Activity Monitor and closing all programs that may be using your camera. Here are the instructions:

1. Click inside the search box located in the top right corner (Spotlight) and type: Activity Monitor and press Enter

2. The Activity Monitor window will appear

3. On the list of opened programs (processes), check if you see these:

FaceTime

iChat

Messages

Photo Booth

4. If you see any of them listed, click on its name and then click on the X button located in the top left corner of the Activity Monitor. Confirm by clicking Force Quit

5. Do the same to close all those mentioned programs

6. Finally, close (force quit) Skype as well

7. After that, start Skype again and check if the camera works for it now

Let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same thing turned off iMessage force quit Skype the video not on came up

This may be a problem with the current Skype version you are using. Please check the installed Skype version by starting Skype and clicking on the "Skype" menu located in the top left corner and then clicking About Skype.

Skype version will be shown on the right. Please type it to me.

Also, please check your Mac version by clicking on the Apple logo located in the upper left corner and then clicking on About This Mac. What is the version installed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OS X el captain 10.11.5
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Skype 7.37 (178)

Thanks for the information! Some users have reported the same problem, and it seems to be happening for MacBook Air computers model 2013. Are you also using MacBook Air 2013?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No an iMac 21", a lap top, and an iPad they all get this same message

That's strange.

I was able to find a camera plug-in update. I suggest you try to with it since many people reported it helped for them.

See the instructions on this link:

https://community.skype.com/t5/Mac-archive/FaceTime-HD-Camera-not-working-only-in-Skype/m-p/1931315/highlight/true#M29175

The camera plugin download link from the step #1 doesn't work any more, so use this link instead:

https://community.skype.com/skypec/attachments/skypec/Mac_archive/25463/1/AppleCamera.plugin.zip

If you are unable to follow those instructions yourself, let me know. I can remotely access your computer and help you out.

Also, see this link for another suggestion:

http://fusion94.org/blog/2015/10/23/camera-fix-for-el-capitan/

Hello again!

Since two days have passed since I provided you with some suggestions regarding the Skype camera issue, please tell me if one of them worked, or the issue is still there?

Thanks,

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

IT Miro, Computer Scientist