Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  IT Manager at Wood Group PSN
94743361

I get the question folder at start up. I have gone to

Customer Question

I get the question mark folder at start up. I have gone to utilities and tried to repair the startup disk. But, repair is not available. When I verify the disk it says all is ok.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Additionally, when I try to restore from time machine, it just searches for destination disk forever.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Mountain lion, I think
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I usually install the updates that I am prompted to. But, I have delayed the most recent ones for a few days.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think if
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

Hi

What is it you are trying to do?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My MacBook will not boot up
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

Does it show for a few seconds or does it not start up at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As i satated above, it shows the flashing question mark folder.
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

Does is show for a few seconds or does not not start at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Why do you keep asking me the same question? I've already provided this information. Also, why do I have click on a link. Can't this be done as a true chat?
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

I am asking as I need to know if it stops you at start up or not. It does not mention this at all above.

I am only try no help

Does this show for a few seconds then proceed to boot?

Regards

Kevin

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It shows the flasjlhing questions mark folder continuously. I have gotten to the utilities pane, by holding down the command+R keys. But, as I stated above, i can't repair the disk, because that option is grayed out.
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

If your Mac doesn't start up

If your Mac starts up to a flashing question mark but then doesn't continue starting up, try these steps.

1. Turn off your Mac by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds.
  2. Press the power button once to turn your Mac back on. When you hear the startup sound, immediately press and hold the Command and R keys on your keyboard to start your Mac from OS X Recovery. Keep these two keys held down until you see an Apple logo or globe appear.
  3. If prompted, select a Wi-Fi network to connect to the Internet as part of startup.
  4. After the Recovery screen appears, click the Apple menu and choose Startup Disk.
  5. Select your startup disk, then click Restart.

If you don't see your startup disk listed in the Startup Disk window, close the window and try the next sections of this article.

If you don't see your startup disk

If you don't see your startup disk in the Startup Disk window, use these steps to see if your startup disk needs directory repair.

1. Open Disk Utility from the Recovery window.
  2. In the Disk Utility window, select your startup disk (usually named "Macintosh HD") from the left side of the window.

3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the Repair Disk button to verify and repair any issues with your startup disk.
  5. After your disk is successfully repaired, quit Disk Utility.
  6. Click the Apple menu and choose Startup Disk. Select your startup disk, then click Restart. If you still don't see your Startup Disk, try reinstalling OS X on your startup disk.

If you don't see your built-in startup disk in the Disk Utility window, or if Disk Utility indicates there's a hardware issue, your Mac might need repair. Make an appointment with an Apple Genius or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for more help.

If Disk Utility can't repair your startup disk

If Disk Utility finds issues with your startup disk that it can't repair, you might need to reformat it. You should back up any important data on your startup disk before erasing it. Erasing your startup disk deletes everything stored on it, including items in your home folder like your documents and items on your desktop.

Back up your data

If you don't have a recent backup of personal data that's stored on your startup disk, use these steps to try to back up your data.

1. Connect an external USB, Thunderbolt or FireWire drive to your Mac. The drive needs to be the same size or larger than your current startup disk. It also needs to be a drive that you can erase.
  2. Use OS X Recovery to erase the external drive, then install OS X onto the external drive. Make sure that you select the external disk as the one you want to erase. Don't select your built-in startup disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
  3. After installation is finished, your Mac automatically restarts from the external drive. When Setup Assistant appears, select the option to migrate your data from another disk. Choose your built-in startup disk as the source to migrate your data from.
  4. When migration is done, complete Setup Assistant. After the desktop appears, confirm your data is present on the external drive.

Reformat your built-in startup disk

After you back up your important data, use OS X Recovery to erase your built-in startup disk and reinstall OS X. Make sure you select the built-in startup disk as the one you want to erase. When installation is finished, your Mac automatically restarts from your built-in startup disk.

If you're unable to erase your startup disk or reinstall OS X, your Mac might need repair. Make an appointment with an Apple Genius or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for more help.

Restore your data

After you erase your startup disk and reinstall OS X, your Mac automatically restarts and Setup Assistant appears. To copy your personal data back to your startup disk, select the option in Setup Assistant to migrate your data from an existing Time Machine backup or another disk. Choose the external drive as the source to migrate your data from and complete Setup Assistant.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a time machine back up on an external drive. When I tried to restore from that back up, I could not because the start up disk never appeared. It just says searching for disks continuously.
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like the hard-drive has failed.

What's the serial number of the MAC?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How can I get the serial number? Is it printed on the outside of the computer anywhere?
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

Yes, it should be on the back or the base.

Regards

Kevin

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
C1MJ97LRDTY4
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

C1MJ97LRDTY4 still has a avid purchase date but is out of warranty I would suggest taking it to an Apple Store for a replacement hard-drive as it looks like your HDD has failed.

Please remember to rate me above for getting credit

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You provided me no information was not readily available through Apple's help pages. You did not trouble shoot with me at all. This was not satisfactory.What is the process for getting a refund? This was a total waste of time
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

As the device will not boot up I cannot connect and troubleshoot to be honest. We are limited to what we can do.

I am sorry you feel like this we are here to provide expert service!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
then, answer my question. How do I get a refund? Based on 100% satisfaction guarantee?
Expert:  Kris R replied 10 months ago.

I will flag this for a refund and customer support will be in touch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.