Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a 9 year old Mac G5 and it has been a work horse.

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 9 year old Mac G5 and it has been a work horse. Today is the first day of trouble. It turns on, Chimes but I'm looking at a apple screen with the wheel below it spinning. ??? I zapped the PRAM and it chimed a second time but will not take me to the finder screen. Thanks!!! John Q****

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?

IOS 10.5.8

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

None in a few years...

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Unplugging, restarting in safe mode with shift key down. Fans went crazy loud once that was done. I shut it down and it started back up with a chime but still stuck on apple screen.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?

That is it thanks.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/11/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 1 year ago
Mike, Mac Medic

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Put the Leopard install disk in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Disk Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Disk Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Mike I verified the disk and it needed repair. Repair disk option was unable to repair. John

OK In that case you have two options: if you have a current backup you can erase the hard drive and reinstall the system then restore from backup, if you do not have a backup you can try third party startup USB drive like Disk Warrior to try and repair the drive which can many times repair a drive that Disk Utility cannot. Let me know.

Other than that your only option is to erase and reinstall with no backup. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Do you need more instructions?