Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a new MacBook Pro, purchased September, 2016, running

Customer Question
Mac OS X 10.11.6. I...
I have a new MacBook Pro, purchased September, 2016, running Mac OS X 10.11.6. I have had the following problem since upgrading my previous laptop from Yosemite to El Capitan, roughly a month ago.Symptoms:- Mail will display a dialog box that says “There is a problem saving information about your mailboxes."
- After several seconds, this dialog then changes to “There is a problem with your mailboxes."
- Both dialog boxes give “Quit” and “Quit and Rebuild Index” options. There seems to be no difference between choosing either of these. Upon restarting Mail, no process is initiated to rebuild the index or re-import my messages. And after some period of time (on the order of five minutes or less), the problem recurs.Attempted fixes that have not helped:- Rebuilding the index. Suggested here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2303617?tstart=0), I went to ~/Library/Mail/V3/MailData, and removed every file whose filename begins with “Envelope”. I then re-started Mail, which re-imported my mail messages.
- Delete accounts. And the re-create them from System Preferences.
- Rebuilding Mailboxes. This is done using the Mailbox > Rebuild option, as described here (https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/thread/7312875?start=0&tstart=0). It works by deleting messages and re-downloading messages from the server. This loses messages that have been deleted from the server, so it should be avoided for mailboxes that are archives.
- Repair the hard disk and permissions. Note that Disk Utilities under Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) does not allow fine-grained control over these operations like previous operating systems did, and I was only able to verify the disk. To fix permissions, I followed the instructions here (http://osxdaily.com/2015/11/04/verify-repair-permissions-mac-os-x/) on all of my Library directory: sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs /Users/wfspotz/Library
- Deleting log files. This was suggested on this post (http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/218775/resolving-there-is-a-problem-with-your-mailboxes-in-el-capitan), targeting files found in /Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/library/logs/Mail*.log.
- Bought a new laptop. Migrated user account over using Time Machine.
- Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Suggested here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3885879?start=30&tstart=0), the idea is to reboot into Recovery Mode using Command-R, running resetpassword ***** Terminal. Note that I first had to run Disk Utility in order to unlock the hard drive because it is encrypted.
- De-activating my rules. This was a desperation attempt on my part.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Less than a month. El Capitan
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, but the problem is about a month old and occurred when I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: - Rebuilding the index. Suggested here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2303617?tstart=0), I went to ~/Library/Mail/V3/MailData, and removed every file whose filename begins with “Envelope”. I then re-started Mail, which re-imported my mail messages.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also followed all the steps on http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/3u3e2-help-i-problem-mail-application-version-3-6-there.html
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
10/2/2016
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

Hi there. Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Just to be sure that I understand clearly, it sounds like you had a laptop that you upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan. Right after the upgrade you began having issues with your Mail program. Did you then purchase a new Macbook Pro and transfer your data from icloud or a time machine backup to the new computer? Then did you have the same problem on your new computer? I'm asking because I want to be sure that I clearly understand the problem. If I am understanding it correctly, then your mailbox data is corrupt and you aren't going to be able to restore it, unless possibly you restore it from an earlier backup, before the problem occurred. We can of course set Mail back up from scratch and you'll be able to use it. but depending on how you had your accounts setup it may or may not be possible to retrieve old emails. Can you tell me please first, am I am understanding this correctly, and secondly, who is your email provider? What is the last part of your email address ( the part after the @ sign)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had an older laptop and upgraded to El Capitan. I work at a national laboratory, and El Capitan is the newest OS approved for use. Mail started misbehaving right after the upgrade. I have been troubleshooting it off and on for about a month, as time permitted, with no success. Last week I set up a new laptop by using Migration Assistant and a Time Machine backup. The Mail problem persisted. I even tried restoring from a backup from before the upgrade, and then copying the mail messages from the import folder back to the original "On My Mac" folders. No luck.My email is provided by my employer and is a sandia.gov address. I also use a personal me.com account with Mail. The problem only happens when my sandia.gov account is active and I am connected to my work network (either directly or via VPN).

So are you saying that if you are not connected to the work network directly or by vpn, Mail opens normally?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it always opens, and works for several minutes before giving me the attached dialog boxes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MailProblem1 appears, and then after maybe 30 seconds, it changes to MailProblem2.

I am terribly sorry, but this looks as though it may take quite some time to resolve and I will have to log off shortly so I am going to opt out and open this up to other experts who may be able to help you. You won't have to repeat anything. The next expert will see our entire conversation. You'll be notified when another expert begins to work on the question. Have a great evening!

Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 1 year ago
Mike, Mac Medic

Do you know if these email accounts are IMAP accounts?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
both of these accounts are IMAP

If you have already checked the drive for errors then I suggest you just delete both accounts then add them back

Mike, Mac Medic