Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

The new os (10 I think) was installed on my new iPad mini 4

Customer Question
Hello the new os (10 I...
Hello
the new os (10 I think) was installed on my new iPad mini 4 yesterday and now I can't get my iTunes on my Mac to connect with the iPad to update my music etc. I keep getting the message that 'iTunes can not connect to the iPad because it received an 'irregular' reaction (my translation) from the device.'
What can I do?
P
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
10/2/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Cody, Senior Systems Administrator replied 1 year ago
Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Can you uninstall itunes and downloaded latest version from http://itunes.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?

yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wh
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i can't download a new version of iTunes on the Mac. If I could, it would have come in with the other automatically installed updates.

what do you mean by you can't download the newest version?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My mac searches for, downloads and installs new software automatically. I'm now running iTunes 12.2.25
That is the last update I received.
I just tried updating again and the mac tells me I'm running the latest version.
The version of iTunes on the iPad mini 4 came with the update (that I didn't ask for or agreed to, BTW)
So I can't get a newer version of iTunes on any of the machines.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can it be a security issue between the iPad and the mac?
the new version of the software for the iPad mini 4 wanted me to do a 'double security' procedure, but I didn't have my phone number handy, so I haven't completed that.

I'm going to open this up to see if another expert has an idea of what is going on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, i was wondering what was going on. :-)
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 1 year ago
Mike, Mac Medic

You will have to upgrade your system to get iTunes version 12.5 or higher.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??)

Processor

Memory

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you say upgrade my system, what do you mean? Buy a new computer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Mike, by the way

No I mean upgrade your Mac OS version, iTunes 12.5 or higher is needed for iOS 10. Can you give me the info I just asked for

Processor

Memory

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a Mac running Mac OS X version 10.7.5
Processor : 2.93 Ghz intel core 2 duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3I don't seem to get updates anymore for any of the software, not the OS, not iTunes.

OK I will need the serial number of the computer. Go to the Apple Logo to About this Mac then More Info or System Report

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Serienummer W89170E00TM

OK you can upgrade to Sierra http://www.apple.com/macos/sierra/

Then you can get iTunes 12.5.? and it will work with your devices using iOS 10

I suggest you check you hard drive first:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I can try that!

OK let me know or I can help you by remote also

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No luck, I'm trying to get Sierra on my mac and I get the reply 'cannot complete your purchase, this version of masOS10.12 can not be installed on this computer.'

According to the serial number you gave me it can. You actually only need Mavericks to get that version of iTunes. Can you try that?

Sorry I guess you can't get Sierra found newer specs, but you should be able to install El Capitan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I click your link, get to the download page, click download and then get the 'can't do it' message. I tried several time. The serial number is ***** I copy pasted it. Serienummer W89170E00TM
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, let's try El Capitan

Open the App Store and search for El Capitan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's downloading el capitan now

OK did you check your hard drive first?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't because then I would have to close my connection to you and I' wasn't sure I would find you again. Sorry. Will it still work?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Estimated download time left is 2 hours 45 min. Is this normal?

You should check it first, you can still check it while you are downloading, just open Disk Utility in Applications / Utilities folder and Verify Disk then Repair Permissions if that is ok. Yes it can take over an hour to download and install. Or I can do it by remote too

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try. Thanks for your patience. I'm a little anxious here :-) It's not helping that all the names and programs are in Dutch and I can't find Disk Utility Applications.

No in Applications there is another folder called Utilities, Disk Utility is in that folder

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think I have it (Schijfhulpprogramma), It's checking now and the next step would be the First Aid, right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now doing repair disk permission

No Verify Disk is first then Repair Permissions. "Controleer Disk"?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already did 'controleer schijf' (disk). Should I stop the repair permissions?

OK no if that was ok then you are fine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, El Capitan is still downloading and the Utilities disk first aid says it's done repairing permissions. Is that the end of the hard disk check? Do I just close 'Mac HD', wait for El Capitan, install it and the have the Mac look for the newer version of iTunes?

Yes you can quit Disk Utility and wait for the upgrade to install then run the App Sore for other updates like iTunes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I'll do that. I'll leave this window open just in case. Scary sunday night here :-)

OK

Everything ok?

Do you still need help with that? You never replied....

Mike, Mac Medic