Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Iphoto keeps crashing, pardon my ignorance, but how do I

Customer Question

iphoto keeps crashing
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: pardon my ignorance, but how do I find that out?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no ma'am
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: not much, I have tried opening iphoto while holding down command & option keys, it gave me options to rebuild/repair. I clicked repair-it started loading then crashed.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no maam ok
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There are two reasons for this problem. Either the iPhoto application is corrupted or it is the iPhoto Library that has corrupted. We can rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not.

Since you already tried normal rebuilding, we have to rebuild the iPhoto library using a third party application named iPhoto Library Manager. Download and install it from here (use the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Open iPhoto Library Manager. Select your iPhoto Library, click on Library menu in the top and select Rebuild Library. This will verify the library. Then click the Rebuild button on the right. After rebuilding, open iPhoto.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where on the right can i find
the "rebuildLibrary" option?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Are you in iPhoto Library Manager app ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Select your iPhoto Library in left column. Then at the top, you will see Library menu. Click it and you will see Rebuild Library

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not working
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

At which step are you having any difficulty ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the app just closed on me & before that Im not finding an option to rebuild library
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There are other indirect ways to get this fixed, but we can try iPhoto Library Manager again because it can create a fresh library without losing any of your data

Restart your Mac, and then open iPhoto Library Manager again. Select your iPhoto Library in left column, click on Library menu and select Rebuild again. Is it force closing ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I restart then i lose the convo im having with you
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me after the restart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its rebuilding now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

This will take a while. Let me know if it crashes again, so we will rebuild the library manually.

Make sure you have enough space on your Mac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, how do I check available storage space or how to I make space?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Go to Apple > About This Mac. Click Storage and you can see the remaining space there.

Let me know how much space is left there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
349.12 gb free of 999.35
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That is more than enough space. So no worries about space. Let iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild it.

iPhoto will open and close automatically. So don't interrupt the process

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

BTW Until the rebuild complete, don't open or use any other apps

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still in the rebuilding process. Thank you!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you have a large iPhoto Library. Depending up on the size, it may take hours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to leave for work, I just got back but The library is still rebuilding
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. How much to go now ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Does the iPhoto Library Manager seems to be frozen ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still rebuilding....
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You should see a progress bar in iPhoto Library Manager. Is it almost done ?

The reason I'm asking is, It is not supposed to take this much time unless you really have a large library

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem isn't resolved. I'm still having an issue with iPhoto. It's still crashing
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

After rebuilding, it may crash a few times as it is loading for first time. Go to your Pictures folder and tell me the size of your iPhoto Libraries

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. Open Pictures folder and you will see your libraries there (old and the rebuilt one). Select the and press Command and I. This will bring Get Info. What is its size ?

Also what is the size of the rebuilt library ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is currently no photos in iPhoto. They are all deleted.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Go to your Pictures folder and how many libraries do you see there ?