Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Last night I installed the latest software for my iPad Air

Customer Question

Last night I installed the latest software for my iPad Air 2. I then tried to open it up with my passcode as directed. The dreaded blue line graphs appeared and told me to
1-push the "home button" to unlock so I could use my passcode to open the device.
I have tried to figure out if the home button is the round one. No luck. Tried the single one on top. No luck. Please help! Susan Inez (Nezi ) Orth(###) ###-####
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Yes, your home button is the round button at front bottom.

Is your iPad speaking to you when you push the home button or touch any part of screen ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

If it is speaking, that means the voice over feature of your iPad is turned on. When it is turned on, you have to select the item/app and double tap the item to open it. You have use to three fingers at same time to swipe or scroll instead of using one finger. First, try this to turn off voice over.

Triple click the home button (round button at front bottom) quickly and this will turn the Voice over off. The three clicks should be very fast and there must not be any delay between the clicks. Or hold down home button and this will bring Siri. Ask Siri to "Turn off VoiceOver" i.e say "Siri, Turn off Voice Over".

If that didn't work, then you have to turn it off manually. Lock the iPad by pressing the power button. Then press Home button. If it doesn't bring the passcode screen, then press Home and Power button (at top right) until it brings the Apple logo. Release the buttons when you see Apple logo and then it will take you to passcode screen (press Home once or twice if asked or hold it to bring the passcode screen).

In the passcode screen, tap the first number and then double tap it to enter the first number and do repeat these until you enter all numbers of passcode. After entering all numbers of passcode, your iPad will unlock.

Then tap and double tap Settings, tap and double tap General, tap and double tap Accessibility, tap and double tap Voice Over and double tap on On/Off switch of Voice over to turn it off. To scroll, you have to swipe with three fingers.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can turn it of using different way

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

If the iPad is not responding to any touch, then Press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot. Then press the Home button and enter the passcode to unlock.

If it still not working, please post a reply in here (type your reply and click Send button at bottom of this page)

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hello Nezi, I read the question. The lines around items usually comes when you enable Voice Over. Voice over will be enabled if you press Home button three times consecutively.

If your iPad is not responding to touch or allow you to enter passcode, then reset it. Press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot. Then press the Home button and enter the passcode to unlock. Does it unlock ?

Please reply in here and don't open new questions.