Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a MacBook Air about a year old running El Capitan.

Customer Question
For the last week or...
I have a MacBook Air about a year old running El Capitan. For the last week or so several problems having been happening:
1) The Wifi usually displays about 12 networks - of these I have the passwords for, and can usually connect to about 6 of these - this list will suddenly truncate to about 4 networks including 2 I can connect to, but the system says it can't connect to any of these.
2) The Wifi starts to cycle fairly regularly between Wifi on and Searching for networks - the system won't let me connect during this time.
3) On Switch on the Wifi connects to one of my networks, but if I try to connect to another known network, the system won't allow me to.
4)The wifi Just drops the connection and won't pick it up again.
All of these things can happen in the same session, and their incidence is getting worse!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
9/26/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'm Mr.med. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

When did this start, How often does the connection drop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I first noticed it about a week ago although it might have been doing it intermittently for longer than that. It is now doing it every two or three minutes, hence this conversation is taking place on my iPhone!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would prefer if you connected to my MacBook, but you can't because of the WiFi problem!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to have to leave for an appointment in about 20 minutes - presumably we can resume this conversation later?

Please ty to delete your existing Wi-Fi Preferences in El Capitan OS to Start Fresh :

1. Turn off Wi-Fi from the menu item in the upper right corner of OS X
  2. Go to the Finder (the smiley face icon in the Dock), and hit Command+Shift+G to bring up the Go To Folder command, choose the following path exactly: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
  3. Hit return to go to that folder, then locate and select the following files:
  • com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
com.apple.network.identification.plist
  • com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
  • NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • preferences.plist

5.Move all of these files into the trash (you can also make a backup of those files)

6.Reboot the Mac

7.Turn on Wi-Fi from the wireless network menu again

Let me know the results

Thank you

Sure, let me know when you are available

regards,

Has everything worked out please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not going to be able to try this until tomorrow afternoon - I live in Spain - I will let you know the results then!

Ok, I hope it works out.

regards,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had some work that I had to do off line, which I did but also answered messages/emails etc as they came in. Perversely, my Mac has been stable since i switched it on and therefore j don't want to try your solution until it starts to be unstable again, so that I can see it has worked. I will keepin contact with you to let you know how it goes once the Mac goes unstable again and I try removing the oreference files you suggest.

I'm glad to know that, If you have a moment please rate my answer by clicking on one of the stars, positive rating are appreciated, if the problem persists please reply back to me and i will gladly continue to help.

Note : Only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer as poor or bad service, if you are not satisfied.

Thank you

Mac Support Specialist: mary-cssm,
 replied 1 year ago
mary-cssm
Dear Customer,
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/9xm2r-macbook-air-year-old-running-el-capitan.html?rpt=1350
Thank you, ***** Support Team.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, my Nacbook started to play up again, so I tried to do what you said, but when I click on Finder and hit Command+Shift+G, it doesn't bring up a 'Go To Folder'! My OS C El Capitan version is 10.11.6
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 1 year ago
Mike, Mac Medic

Just click on the first icon in the Dock the face the Finder then Go at the top of your screen to Go to Folder and put in

/Library/Preferences

then hit Return. In the folder that opens find SystemConfiguration and drag all the items except com.apple.boot.plist

to the Trash then restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. You will have to reconnect to your WiFi. Let me know after.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before I continue, there is one folder and 13 files in that folder - please confirm I should delete all except the boot list file - the previous expert said only to delete 5 files!

Yes correct

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That appears to be okay, but as the problem appeared to have rectified itself a couple of times before, I will wait 24 Hurd before rating the answer. Do I take it that the next time I switch on it will start normally? What is the implication of those 13 files and 2 folders being missing from the configuration folder? Is there anything else I need to do?

No nothing else you need to do, let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That did not work. The wifi is on and showing currently 4 networks 3 of which I should be able to join but it won't join any of them.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time, if it starts up you held the power button before the other keys, try again.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.

8. Release the keys.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't done that yet but will do so after I pass the following information. After 10 minutes the system suddenly connected to one of the available networks of which there are now 9 showing, ; of which I can connect to - I am currently connected to the Internet via one of these. Do I still carry out the procedure you detailed?

It won't hurt

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Done that - it's started up and awaits Password ***** what should I do?

It sounds like you may be back in Safe mode it should not ask for passord unless you have it set to do that at every strartup, just login and restart the normal way.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is set to ask for password ***** time. Have logged in and it looks okay again, but as before I will wait 24 hours before confirming answer worked. Thanjs

No problem. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating when you are sure - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately, although it worked most of the day the problem has re-emerged. Currently the Eifi states that it is looking for networks, is however apparently connected to one of my Wifi networks (it is ticked) and is displaying the normal Wifi sign with 4 bars, but the message in the centre of the screen is 'not connected to the Internet'. My main problem now is that I am setting off in my Motorhome on a trip from Dpain to Denmark, and as a backup am going to take my old Windows 7 laptop, but still want to resolve this problem. However I will be reliant on Wifi hotspots and this iPhone or the laptop to communicate with you. I await your response on what to try next.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure why you keep changing the expert that is dealing with this issue - doesn't this involve a loss of continuity in resolving this?

It may be a hardware issue.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run. If that is ok restart and upgrade to Sierra 10.12: http://www.apple.com/macos/sierra/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before I do that, is the following information of any use. Before you answered I carried out your previous instructions re restarting when plugged into the power supply after holding down the shift/control/option/power etc, and the Mac has connected to Wifi again okay - died that change your advice?

No you did that before didn't you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did and it was okay for most of the day - I just wanted you to be award that I had done it again since last messaging you. I will try your new procedure in the morning before I set off in the Motorhome. Thanks

OK there is no need to do it again once it is reset. If it continues to have erratic WiFi connectivity after upgrading I would say you have some kind of hardware failure maybe only a loose antenna but you would need to have it looked at.

Mike, Mac Medic