Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Software Development Engineer
94796889

MacBook Air cannot get past the screen with the apple and

Customer Question

Hi MacBook Air cannot get past the gray screen with the gray apple and the cursor is stuck in upper left corner ...rebooted several times... sometimes only a white screen appears ...safe mode doesn't work... a few times the beginning sound played over and over
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: This is embarrassing but I think about 5 years old and I don't know the system
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Holding shift key to try to open in safe mode
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mac
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Benjamin. Welcome to our site. I'm reviewing your question now and I'll reply with more details ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

What happens when you hold the shift key to open in safe mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It brings me to the gray screen with the user picture (me) and a gray apple and the cursor remains stuck in the upper left corner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this make sense?

I think so - sounds like your login screen. Are you able to login?

It SOUNDS like the "mac mouse issue"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no log in box appears

What tools do you have for us to work with? Another mac, OS disk, a mouse?

Also, is your data backed up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have n iPad
Some of it is
Hopefully what I care about

Do you have anything plugged into the USB ports?

I would suggest following the process on this page:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3921242?tstart=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the answer wouldn't send

Basically sounds like you have an issue with the bootup process - hopefully it's software and also hopefully we can recover it with software and that won't cost you any data or money.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having no luck todayb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok

Do you want a phone call? I see you asked for secure remote assistance. Both of these things have an extra charge, but frankly if we can't boot into a computer, asking you to pay to remote in seems silly.

Don't worry, we'll get thru this together!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent that not sure how to keep in contact because my answers got stuck

I'm not sure what you mean by your answers got stuck - if you keep replying here, we can keep talking here. If you would like me to call you, I can do that. There is an additional fee for that service, but I'd be happy to provide that call or keep working with you here - your choice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was trying to answer here and when I hit send it wouldn't send
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But did eventually
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess keep trying here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realize it might require a trip to the Apple Store but I thought I'd try in case it's something easy ...a command or something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked fine yesterday and today when I opened it at first it had the regular screen up my background the login box etc but I couldn't type ...nothing would happen so I restarted then only the gray screen with the stuck mouse appeared
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then I restarted again and that apple opening tune played over and over like it was stuttering and only a white screen appeared

Hi Customer! I am sooo sorry for not responding last night. I usually get an email when people reply but I didn't get any follow up emails for your question so I had thought you set this issue aside for the night and didn't know you had a response until I just checked my questions I'm answering manually and saw your replies.

Have you tried this?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

If that works for you, great. In that case I would appreciate a positive rating. If not, please reply and I will keep working to help you. Please do keep in mind I'm not an employee, I'm an independent expert answering questions during my free time. The only way I am paid is for providing answers that result in positive ratings. I do apologize, if the issue is hardware, I'm unable to fix that remotely for you, so please do keep that in mind. In the event we get robots available to remote control, I'll be sure to offer hardware fixes as part of my answers.