Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

An apple update block my computer and none of the commands

Customer Question

An apple update block my computer and none of the commands work. I have white screen with the apple logo with the progression bar underneath
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: MacBook Pro not sure about operating system but I think it's the latest
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: This same thing happen a few days ago with the difference the progression bar stopped at about 3/4 and today the bar went all the way to the right.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none last time the a Mac Pro reinstalled the op system
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just urgent
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Lets try this.. Hold down the power button for ten seconds to force the mac to power down.

Then,

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Once complete, force the mac to shut down again.

Then, press and hold the left sh ift key and while holding it, start the mac.. Can you sign into your mac now ?

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It did not work still blocked. Op system was reinstalled from la Cie external backup
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need help now
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

To be clear.. You already reinstalled OSX from an external drive?

Question, if you start the mac and hold the option key.. What choices do you see exactly?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It showed a pic of the hard drive I clicked on it and it went back to the screen like before see the picture. I would like your remote assistanc
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But I already paid once and it said 100% satisfaction
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

What did it name the hard drive?

And did it show only one drive? Not a recovery drive? Please be specific, thank you.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it showed and said Macintosh HD and LaCie and below choose Network
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also an arrow in a circle pointing to HD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
See photo
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Ok, and when you choose mac hd.. It just spins?

Lets try a few repairs.

Start the mac holding command and R.. choose recovery

Then, go to utilities, disk utility.. And run a permissions repair on your mac hd.

When that completes, run a disk repair on your mac hd..

Once complete, reboot, and see if your mac will start now.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has a different hard drive not the original Mac HD but it don't known the name and kind
None of the repairs you suggested worked
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

I cant tell what happened by your response.

When you held down command R as soon as you pressed power to start the mac.. What happened?

Were you able to complete the repairs I suggested, or did you not make it into the recovery driver.. Please be specific, thank you.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When restarting w command R it goes to white screen with apple logo and progress bar then it went to OS X Utilities screen see attached
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Allright.. Did you use the utilities, disk utility..

and try the permissions repair first, and disk repair second?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No permission repair found, it showed a first aid Button which i used But no results
When i got out of The utilitie screen it gave me Option To select HD and Then restart
But it Went Right back To The Spinning screen
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Ive just seen your replies & started my shift for today.

Lets try this, remove any cd's in the drive, remove any external hard drives and then go back into the recovery, utilities screen.

Now, click the samsung SSD or Macintosh HD and we need to click repair disk. Will it let you repair disk on either? If not, then run this repair step next

Start in single user mode by holding down command S .. All you will see is a white or black terminal screen where we can type commands.

type this in after where it says #root

/sbin/fsck -fy

And then hit enter.. If it gives you any errors, run it again.. And again.. and again, till it doesnt come back with any errors.

Then, type reboot.. Will the mac start now?

If not, with all cds and external drives removed.. Press command R when you start and then choose reinstall mac osx..

That should fix the issue if nothing else did.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dustin, i did all that You suggested and it Looked Good For awhile until The reboot when it Went right back To The Problem Screen thatvwould not let me continue.
So i Ended up bringing it To The Local Mac store. please Credit my Account and i am sorry it did not work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Understood. While I cannot credit your account personally as I dont have access to your account, you can submit your own refund request by using this link.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0