Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a Macbook Pro (late 2012 model) and when I try to

Customer Question

I have a Macbook Pro (late 2012 model) and when I try to turn it on everything starts normally and then the screen turns black after I sign in to the master account If I log in to the guest account it does not do that
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is a late 2012 model
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: and I think it is running whatever version it is that you see mountain tops no
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried turning it off and waiting and then held down the shift key..nothing happened i can't get it to do anything to get the black screen to disappear. The mouse cursor seems to be working fine
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: it has been running quite slow lately
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! It has never done this before
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** with some general repairs and we will get more in depth as needed.

Starting in your guest profile,

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the upper right hand side click first aid, and run first aid.

Once it says first aid complete.. Shut down your mac

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

If the mac tries to start, shut it down again. Then, press and h old the left shift key while you start the mac..

That should put the mac in safe mode.. Can you sign into your normal account now?

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I clicked on the guest account it said it had to restart so I am waiting for it to restart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok it is asking me to join my network which i Did so now what
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Allright.. Have you been able to boot into the guest account or the main account?

if you are b ooted into either account.. Please start these repair steps.

Shut down your Mac.
Turn on your Mac.
Release the keys.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not seeing anything saying "first aid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I am a little electronically challegend but where is finder?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

The finder is the magnifying glass at the top right.

Or, its the icon on your dock at the furthest left. its easier to use the magnifying glass though..

And then type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility app.

Shut down your Mac.
Turn on your Mac.
Release the keys.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked through this entire screen and there is no magnifying glass to be found. The nearest thing i have found is hitting the apple in the top left corner and I see the words startup disk
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

If you go to the far right, at the far right, top right corner there is the magnifying glass / finder / spotlight

It should be right next to the time, as shown in this image http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT2531/HT2531_100-MtLion-Spotlight-002-en.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't working and the magnifying glass isn't working. I am just going to take it to a friend who should be able to repair it. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

I understand.. If you change your mind or need further help you know where to find us.

Otherwise, here is the refund link..

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0