Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Mac Intel with OSX10.7.1 and the last two times I needed to

Customer Question
so pen it, it failed...
Mac Intel with OSX10.7.1 and the last two times I needed to so pen it, it failed. I removed the power plug from the back of the monist and waited 30 seconds, then replugged, and it did start up. This scares me. Carol
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: I believe it is MountaIN LION 10.7.1
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, I know I need to, but besides being busy, I am not confident about doing it myself and this Mac is way out of warranty.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Only unplugging the power card from the back and then restarting.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Probably the cost of the call, but that's ok
JA: Emailing***@******.*** is the best way to reach customer service.
Customer: Should I do that now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
9/14/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago
Bruce Wilner

Good afternoon. It's my pleasure to try to assist you. What's been going no with your Mac? And how long have you owned it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A few years. Dates to Mountain Lion.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought the answer was ready. I don't have a touch screen so I can't get it on my phone!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Anyone there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?
Mac Support Specialist: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes, anyone is here. It takes a few moments for the messages to refresh. This is an extremely busy Web site.

What is the EXACT problem you're encountering now? It isn't clear from what I'm reading in the question/answer panel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Imac won't open with start button -- have to unplug power cord -- replug power cord -- restart. Happened twice. Third time ok.
Mac Support Specialist: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

If you are having sporadic problems powering on, and you notice inconsistent behavior when you plug/unplug the power cord, you likely have a power supply problem.

I see you just posted "third time O.K." I trust you realize that these kinds of situations degenerate; they don't improve. If it's going to start every third time today, it will be starting every sixth time next week.

Power supplies often go bad because power transformers (which change the 120V wall current into the 15V needed by your computer's CMOSFET circuitry) are very cheaply built. They use low-grade magnetic alloys that lose their hysteresis characteristic after being charged/recharged many times. (Remember, when you plug into wall current, the transformer's magnetic core is being charged/uncharged/recharged SIXTY TIMES EACH SECOND.) Presently, the circuits aren't getting enough power to switch on--until the thing cools off or, because of some happenstance, is just above the threshold to turn on.

Mac Support Specialist: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

Bear in mind that your computer has its OWN transformer, IN ADDITION TO the one in the charging cord.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The next step then -- call power supplier and Apple?
Mac Support Specialist: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

Did you purchase a maintenance plan when you bought the computer? It's always a good idea to back up a pricey investment like a Mac with a one- or two-year maintenance plan. From what you're saying, the Mac is several years old, and it's way out of warranty!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did have Apple Care. Not any longer.
Mac Support Specialist: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

It may be worth having the Apple technicians look at the power supply. It is POSSIBLE that a damaged power cord can cause oddball behavior as well. I will assume you have invested in a new power cable and tried that--not to "throw good money after bad," like a mechanic who rebuilds your car piece by piece until it "works better"! Replacing a power supply inside a Macbook should be doable for under $150.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will call Apple.
Mac Support Specialist: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

WARNING: they will go on and on about how the unit is archaic, how the new Mac is so much better, faster, sharper, etc. DON'T fall for that if you are happy with your computer. Plus, it can be a major headache to migrate to a new machine if you've been using this one for years.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good advice. I love this Mac. Had to sell a car to buy it. Running out of cars. :-)
Mac Support Specialist: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

O.K. Forgive me if I check the "Ready to be rated" box. Not trying to pull a fast one. It wasn't exactly rocket science. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK
Mac Support Specialist: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

PCs are much cheaper than Macs, as you know. They're also much shoddier. That's a trade-off, obviously.

Mike, Mac Medic