Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I accidentally put all my iphoto events into one, dont know

Customer Question

I accidentally put all my iphoto events into one, dont know how, & cannot undo, any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I'm sorry about the issue. If you didn't close iPhoto or if you didn't make any further changes, you can change it back. Press Command and Z or click on Edit menu and select Undo. This will allow you to undo it.

If that didn't work, then you can try splitting events. Refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2362?locale=en_US

If you have a time machine backup, then you can also restore a previous backup from it. Let me know how it goes please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Restoring from time machine did not work
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure you have a backup made on Time Machine ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. This will bring Home folder. Open Pictures folder. Now in that window, click on the Time Machine icon at the top bar (left to WiFi, time etc) and select Enter Time Machine. This will open Time Machine screen. Select a backup date on the right prior to this problem. Select the iPhoto Library and click Restore. If asked to replace, don't do it. Instead restore as a copy or new file. After restoring, hold down Option key and open iPhoto. Select Choose Library and this time, choose the restored library. Does it work now ?

Note : This will only work if there is a backup made on Time Machine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No good, will have to separate manually, 15,000 photos which I had already arranged into merged events are now all single photos so should have it done in about 5,years!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There is an Auto Split option. Did you try that?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

In iPhoto, Choose iPhoto menu and select Preferences, and then click General. Choose an option from the “Autosplit into Events” pop-up menu. Close it.

Then select the Event on left side (the merged one) and choose Events menu and Autosplit Selected Events.

Refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2362?locale=en_US

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that & have done it thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Is there anything else I could do for you ?

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent or 5 stars and click Submit at the top of this page. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I had already tried everything suggested so my problem has not been resolved, back to the drawing board!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What happens when you use Autosplit option ?