Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I forgot the admin password for my G5 running OS X 10.5.8…

I forgot the admin password...
I forgot the admin password ***** my G5 running OS X 10.5.8 and I don't have a system disk. How do I recover my password?
8/23/2016
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.

Follow the steps below to create anew User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences> Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Hi there, Just checking, How is it going ? If you have any difficulty, please reply in here and we will do this step by step. There is a small connection in the above command. There is a space after rm as well

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

Here are the commands in detail

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>

rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>

shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When it boots up after pressing the apple key and S the screen rests at :/ root# ***** is unresponsive to any keyboard strokes.

That is strange. Are you using wireless keyboard ?

Do you have another keyboard to try ?

Turn off your Mac and unplug it for a few minutes. Then turn it back on and try again. Single User mode is our only option to reset the password ***** the disc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your suggestions fixed the problem . Thank you.

You're most welcome !

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent or 5 stars and click Submit at the top of this page. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ashik, Mac Technician
Ashik, Mac Technician