Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I accidentally closed a powerpoint presentation on my mac

Customer Question
without saving my changes....
I accidentally closed a powerpoint presentation on my mac without saving my changes. Is there anything I can do??
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Some, but I'm no expert.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried looking in the library folder for autocovery files and it's empty
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
8/17/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'mCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Please try to open powerpoint, go to File Click Recent and In the bottom (right-center), please look for Recover Unsaved Presentations Click on that link, then you will be presented with all documents that were auto saved but not saved manually by you.

Let me know the results

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have found a copy of my PowerPoint file that I was working on right before it closed (I was closing another PP presentation and this one closed at the same time) and I can't open it. It says it's damaged.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have this option on my Mac.

I'm sorry for delay in replying, what is the version of your power point please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2016

Please Try to open the presentation in PowerPoint Viewer :

First Go to the PowerPoint Viewer download webpage

1. Open your favorite browser
  2. Go to the following Microsoft website :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=cb9bf144-1076-4615-9951-294eeb832823

Install PowerPoint Viewer :

1. Click Download.
  2. Click Run.
  3. Click to select the Click here to accept the Microsoft Software License Terms check box, and then click Continue.
  4. Click OK.

If you are prompted for an administrator password ***** for confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Open the damaged presentation in PowerPoint Viewer :

1. Click Start, and then click All Programs or All Apps.
  2. Click Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer .
  3. Click Accept.
  4. Click the damaged presentation, and then click Open.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This powerpoint viewer doesn't work with PP2016 and it doesn't work with Mac. Are you checking any of this out before you recommend it to me.

Please try another solution :

Download LibreOffice at the link below and see if it will open it, Open LibreOffice first, then select your file to open

If you have a chance to open the file, Save it with different name.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/?version=5.2&lang=fr#change

If the problem persists please reply back to me

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I opened the file in LibreOffice and it was emply

Solution A : Insert the Slides into a Blank Presentation

1. On the File menu, click New.
  2. Click the Blank Presentation button in the New Presentation dialog box, and then click OK.
  3. If the New Slide dialog box appears, click OK.

Your selection from this dialog box does not matter; after you recreate the presentation, you can delete this slide.
  4. On the Insert menu, click Slides From File.
  5. In the resulting dialog box, locate the damaged presentation.
  6. Click the presentation, and then click Insert.
  7. save the presentation

Solution B :

Paste the slides from the damaged presentation into a new presentation

Use a copy and paste operation to move the slides from the damaged presentation to a blank presentation. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open the damaged presentation.
  2. On the File menu, click New.
  3. Use the same master as the damaged presentation by clicking the Current Presentation Format button.
  4. Change the view of the damaged presentation to Slide Sorter view by clicking Slide Sorter on the View menu.
  5. Select a slide to copy.
  6. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
  7. Switch to the new presentation, and then click Slide Sorter on the View menu.
  8. Paste the copied slides into the new presentation.
  9. Repeat steps 5 through 8 until the entire presentation is transferred.

Solution C : Save the presentation as RTF (Rich Text Format)

If the corruption is throughout the presentation, saving as RTFmay be the only option to recover any data. This method, if successful,recovers only the text that appears in Outline view. To do this, followthese steps:

1. Open the corrupted presentation.
  2. On the File menu, click Save As.
  3. Select Outline (RTF Text) from the Save File As Type drop-down list.
  4. Name the file, pick a location to store the file, and then click Save.

Solution D :

Try opening the presentation with Google slides : https://www.google.com/slides/about/

Try opening the presentation on another computer.

Hope it work out

Thank you

Mike, Mac Medic