Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I did a rebuild on my mac and I lost old emails that were

Customer Question
already downloaded JA: How much experience...
I did a rebuild on my mac and I lost old emails that were already downloaded
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: not much
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I did not try anything yet
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
8/16/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi there,

Did you rebuild your email inbox?

The original INBOX.mbox does not go anywhere when you rebuild the mailbox. It is not replaced or deleted during the rebuild process, but problems can occur if the .mbox has severe corruption or the mailbox is at or over the recommended size limit for a mailbox.
What is your hard drive capacity and available free space?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My hard disk is 500GB. I have 99GB free.

Ok, so plenty of free space...

Did you rebuild your email inbox?

Can you locate the .mbox file? What size is it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where would the file be located. I am not able to find it.

It should be located in the Mail folder of the user directory.

You may need to enable hidden files:

Hold down the Option key while using the Finder“Go To Folder” command, and enter ~/Library/Mail

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I followed your instruction and found a few .mbox files. But all with a modify date of 2013.

Did you rebuild your email inbox?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BTW: I still have most of my mails, I just lost some of them after the rebuild.

Ok, but you cannot find a recent .mbox file anywhere?

Have you tried using Finder to search the entire Mac?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found one. INBOX.box from August 11 located in Mail/V2/AosIMAP folder
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant to say INBOX.mbox

Ok, that is likely your most recent email information file - what size is it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Size is 86KB. If it is supposed to have all my emails it does not sound right.

No, that doesn't sound right.

Who is your email provider? e.g. Gmail

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have small businesses and I have mail server hosted by Bluehost for each. Do you think there is an INBOX.mbox file that should indicate a size compatible with a file containing emails? How do I unhide hidden files so I can just do a search like you suggested?

Your email may actually be on the Bluehost mail server then - can you let me know if you can see your emails when you log in at:

https://login.bluehost.com/cgi/webmail

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only see very recent emails when I log in to Blue host. Like you suggested the key might be to find the right INBOX.mbox file. What should I do?

You can search again using Finder - do a search of your entire Mac using finder to look for any *.mbox files.

Pete, Computer Engineer